Day 124: Burlington, ON to Welland, ON - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2017

Day 124: Burlington, ON to Welland, ON

We said goodbye to Dave and Sharon this morning and rode to Welland, ON.

The route started on the Waterfront Trail and crossed the Burlington Canal Lift Bridge into Hamilton. It was a tricky route to follow. The "official" Waterfront Trail requires the use of steep stairs to access the bridge. We knew we didn't want that. As we were stopped at an intersection approaching the bridge, a cyclist rode by. Kerry stopped him to ask for directions and he was going just where we were, so he led us across the bridge. It saved us some aggravation, for sure. He rode with us for several miles through Hamilton before turning back. We enjoyed talking with him and appreciate the guide service!

Pierre Dion, who came to our rescue when we didn't know how to get on the bridge
It was nice meeting you and sharing a ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once past Hamilton, the trail was mostly on road. It was easy to follow and the roads were good for cycling until we came to this:

Detours are for cars, not bicycles
Heart 0 Comment 0
We walked through without any problem
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry just forged ahead (he walked the bike) and we made it through the construction without any problem.

We came across Dillon's Distillery and stopped in. Kerry has been feeling pretty bad today, so he wasn't up for any serious tasting, but he did talk to the guy and have a taste of their rye. I feel fine, but I wasn't up for any tasting at all. It just wasn't appealing at 10:30AM.

Visiting Dillon's Distillery
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our next stop was at the Grand Oak Market. As soon as we pulled in, Kerry remembered it from last year. Team A, do you guys remember sitting under this tree eating fruit from the market? They had some currants, I think, that Viktoriya used to get in Russia.

The Grand Oak - remember this Team A?
Heart 0 Comment 0
The market is wonderful with fresh fruits and vegetables, prepared foods and a small restuarant
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry was really feeling bad by the time we got here, so we took a long break and had a small lunch. We had plans to meet friends for dinner in Welland tonight, but we decided we needed to cancel that. Kerry was not going to feel like going out tonight. So, Nancy and Bruce, we'll look forward to seeing you in Florida this winter.

We kept on making slow progress with frequent stops and got to our hotel about 5:00. I hope Kerry will feel a lot better tomorrow. It's our last cycling day. We have only 30 miles to ride to Buffalo, where we've reserved a minivan for the trip home.

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 4,860 miles (7,821 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0