Day 12: Manning, SC to Hartsville, SC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 9, 2017

Day 12: Manning, SC to Hartsville, SC

Today was pretty uneventful, but in a good way. We rode on very quiet, low traffic PAVED country roads. There were no detours or blocked roads. We did come to one place where a crew was paving. Kerry was concerned about getting the bike across the wet tar. One of the guys directing traffic stepped up and helped him carry the bike across to the other lane. We then rode along on that one open lane for two miles with no others cars behind us. We don't know if the guy held the traffic for us to go through the construction zone or if there was just no one coming, but it was nice to get through the area so easily.

The crop today was corn, corn and corn. I'm sure we passed thousands of acres of corn growing. We also saw a lot of last year's cotton fields not yet replanted.

Corn and corn and corn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Planting beans in last year's cotton field
Heart 0 Comment 0
Recent fire
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode through the little town - or maybe former town - of Mayesville. The town died when a highway was built nearby and the railroad stopped passenger service. It was very sad to see all the buildings in ruins. There was a story board in what must have been a town park at one time. It spoke of the town's "revival", but that doesn't seem to have happened. Our thought was that it looked like a great place for a rail trail.

Road into town of Mayesville off highway
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mayesville story
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mayesville street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mayesville street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mayesville hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is where the railroad tracks were in the past.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Tomorrow is a rest day in Hartsville. We will rest!

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 629 miles (1,012 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0