Day 117: Picton, ON - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 22, 2017

Day 117: Picton, ON

Question:
Why did we not ride to our next destination today?

Answer:
Because the weather forecast called for a rainy, stormy day.

Question:
Was the forecast accurate?

Answer:
Yes

Question:
Why did I agree to go for a ride this afternoon?

Answer: (multiple choice)
a. because I am a wonderful, loving wife who wants her husband to be happy
b. because I didn't want to listen to my husband whine and complain

Question:
Did we get wet?

Answer:
Oh, yes, we did!

Question:
Did we have fun anyway?

Answer:
Of course - it's all fun.

We were able to rearrange our schedule for the next four days without problem. In order to stay here another night, though, we had to switch rooms. They let us keep our first room until this one was ready a little after noon. The rain had started by then, but we got moved in between showers. We had a late breakfast here while we were waiting for our new room, so we were all set for the afternoon...I thought. About 3:00, Kerry decided we really needed to go for a ride. It was clear at the time, but I knew there was rain in the area. I was contentedly playing on the computer and did not want to go, but Kerry looked so dejected when I said no that I agreed to go for a short ride.

We had been told about a lake at the top of a big hill a few miles away called "Lake on the Mountain". It was supposed to be very scenic. We followed Kerry's route up there which included 1.5 miles on a muddy dirt road. By the time we got up there, the sky was getting very dark. You can see the change in the clouds in the few minutes I was taking these pictures.

A view of Picton Bay which we crossed on the ferry Sunday
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the Lake on the Mountain
Heart 0 Comment 0
It was getting darker by the minute.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Even Kerry at this point agreed that we needed to get back to the hotel as quickly as we could. We took off down the "mountain" and went the WRONG WAY for a couple of miles. It was an uncommon occurrence that I was right about the direction we needed to go. I kept saying we were going the wrong way, but Kerry didn't believe me until he saw it on a road sign, In his defense, I have a terrible sense of direction and am often wrong about which way we need to go. We turned around and headed the right way with the sky getting darker and darker. About five miles from the hotel, it started to rain hard. Right there was a house with a separate garage which had a large overhang. Kerry turned in there and in literally less than 30 seconds after the rain started, we were under shelter.

Just when we needed it, there was a shelter. We never saw anyone at the house, but we are very grateful for the use of their garage.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were out if the rain under here.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We waited there for a few minutes until the rain slowed down, then rode on back. The rain was pretty light and actually stopped before we got to the hotel. So, we did get wet, but not drenched and there was no lightning. We arrived safe and sound with another good story to tell.

There is no rain in the forecast for tomorrow!

Today's ride: 16 miles (26 km)
Total: 4,608 miles (7,416 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0