Day 115: Gananoque, ON to Picton, ON - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2017

Day 115: Gananoque, ON to Picton, ON

Today was a big improvement over yesterday. We had sunshine and light headwinds until late afternoon when it got a little windier. We had nothing like yesterday's winds.

We had a good time at breakfast. There was a large group of other guests we talked with. One couple has a daughter who works at the hotel where we stayed in Gatineau and they were in one of the hotel's TV ads. I don't have a link, but they showed it to us on their phone. Everyone was curious about our trip and the bike and it is always fun to talk about that. Some of them came out and took pictures of us with the bike and as we rode away, we got applause from the whole table. It was a really nice way to start the day.

Our breakfast companions who gave us such a nice send off this morning
Heart 0 Comment 0
The woman in the foreground and her husband are in the Hotel V commercial
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today was a day for meeting other touring cyclists. A few miles into the ride, we met Christian and Denis, who are almost home to Sherbrooke, QC after a two month cross Canada ride from BC. Later, we met Elaine and Yves, a brother and sister on a three week trip in Quebec and Ontario. We were talking about our travels and found out that they had met Christian and Denis yesterday. There was one more guy we talked to whose name and picture we didn't get. He was just a few miles from his home in Kingston after a trip around Lake Ontario.

Christian and Denis
Heart 0 Comment 0
Elaine and Yves
Heart 0 Comment 0

Near the end of today's route, we had a short ferry ride. As we got a few miles from the ferry landing, we realized that if we pedaled a little harder, we could probably just make the 4:00PM ferry. We had already ridden over 50 miles, but we pushed ourselves and pulled up to the ferry just as they were lowering the gate behind the last car. Kerry rode up and called out to the guy and asked if we could get on. He raised the gate and let us board. It is a free ferry that makes it's 8 minute crossing every 15 minutes, but it was a nice reward to get right on without waiting for the next one.

We found just enough space in the back for the bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Ferry crossing
Heart 0 Comment 0

From getting off the ferry, it was only 5 miles to our hotel. Just after we left the feryy, we saw this place and decided a stop was in order.

Let's stop here!
Heart 0 Comment 0

We went in and had some samples to choose which beer to buy. I got my glass of red ale and went to find a seat while Kerry paid. This is the place I chose:

Jeanna's choice
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is the place Kerry took his glass:

Kerry's choice
Heart 0 Comment 0

Here is a question. Who made the better choice for enjoying a cold beer on a warm afternoon? I don't even need to say where we ended up sitting.

We finally arrived at the Picton Harbour Inn about 5:30. We have this to look at from our room:

The view from our room
Heart 0 Comment 0

This is a very popular place for cycling, Were staying here tomorrow to explore the area.

Sailboats on Lake Ontario
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 58 miles (93 km)
Total: 4,592 miles (7,390 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0