Day 114: Johnstown, ON to Gananoque, ON - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

August 19, 2017

Day 114: Johnstown, ON to Gananoque, ON

Boy, are we paying for all those days of great tailwinds we enjoyed traveling north! We rode 52 miles today and every one of them into a stiff headwind. Fortunately, we had good roads, many miles of dedicated bike trail, interesting places to stop and visit and nice scenery to keep us going. There were dark storm clouds most of the day, but we never got any rain.

We were along the St. Lawrence River all day. This is the bridge to Ogdensburg, NY which was barely visible in one of the pictures I posted last night.

The bridge to Ogdensburg, NY
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry said this structure is an old grains elevator.

Old grain elevator near the foot of the bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few miles past the bridge, we saw this old tower next to the road. We have no idea what it is. Can anyone tell us?

Does anyone know what this old tower is?
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our first stop was in the town of Prescott. They were having "Loyalist Days" with re-enactor encampments, parades, a mock battle and lots of other activities. We didn't know it was going on and just happened to get into town at the right time for the parade.

Loyalist re-enactors
Heart 0 Comment 0
Loyalist re-enactors
Heart 0 Comment 0
British soldier re-enactors
Heart 0 Comment 0
Women walked behind the "soldiers" and most of them walked barefoot.
Heart 0 Comment 0

A few miles past Prescott, we came to the town of Brockville. They too were having a civic celebration with the main street closed to traffic and lined with various arts and crafts and other vendors, as well as many kids' games and activities. We made our way through slowly on the bike. We stopped at a bike shop there on the street and had a nice conversation with two women who were about ready to get on their bikes and come with us. It was fun talking with you, Trina and Amy.

Trina and Amy were in the bike shop in Brockville. We had fun talking to them about bike touring.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just past Brockville, we got on the 1000 Island Parkway which brought us to Gananoque. There is separate paved bike trail along the road. If it weren't for the headwind, it would have been a great ride.

The St. Lawrence was very choppy with the high winds. We had dark clouds all day, but no rain
Heart 0 Comment 0
Island house
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were houses on little islands all over the river in the 1000 Islands.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We took a few rest breaks and finally got to Gananoque about 5PM. We're in a nice B&B tonight with a pub downstairs. I think that will make a nice end to today.

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 4,534 miles (7,297 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0