Day 11: St. George, SC to Manning, SC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 8, 2017

Day 11: St. George, SC to Manning, SC

Today’s journal was written by Kerry

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETALS!!Today we had another good day that had a little adventure (by our standards) mixed in. After a leisurely morning, we headed out at about 10 AM. Less than a mile from our motel, we made a turn and ran out of pavement. The road looked like packed sand and, by riding slowly, we made it to the next intersection which was about a third of a mile away. About 8 miles further down the road we turned on a small road that had a very rough surface. I was thinking I should get a photo of all the pot-holes when we came upon a sign that read “Pavement Ends”. We soon discovered that pot-holes were really not that bad 😉. This section of road was soft sand and un-rideable. It was also longer – we ended up walking our bike for slightly over a mile before we hit pavement again. Later in the afternoon, we hit our 3rd section of unpaved road – it was rough, but rideable and, although Jeanna was apprehensive, we made it safely to pavement and finished the days ride without further incident.

I must mention that, when we were planning this trip, Jeanna mapped out the route and it was my job to go over it in detail, making sure that stuff like this didn’t happen. This was gently brought to my attention several times today in the sweetest manner possible. (Jeanna here - to be honest, I really didn't say much about the route, but after 43 years, he can read my mind :))

We started out on a nice quiet country road
Heart 0 Comment 0
The road turned into soft sand
Heart 0 Comment 0
We walked a mile until we got to pavement again
Heart 0 Comment 0

About midway thru todays ride, we crossed Lake Marion.

We had to remove the panniers to get around the barriers
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kerry pushed the bike through
Heart 0 Comment 0
Made it!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The panniers were waiting.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old 301 bridge across Lake Marion. There are little sections of an older bridge still standing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lake Marion from bridge
Heart 0 Comment 0
Old US 301 road surface 30 years after being closed to traffic
Heart 0 Comment 0

After crossing Lake Marion, we took a short detour to visit the Santee National Wildlife Refuge Visitors Center. They are open Tuesday thru Saturday. Unfortunately today was Monday.

Lake Marion from Santee Wildlife Refuge Visitor Center
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today is Monday.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We were back in farmland today.

Loading corn into truck
Heart 0 Comment 0
Working last year's cotton field
Heart 0 Comment 0

After passing several farms that were growing corn and cotton we came upon a large field of melons. A bit further down the road, we saw a crop that sort of looked like tobacco, but not really. Across from this field were several farm buildings. I saw a man walking across to a barn and stopped to ask him what he was growing. He said the field was turnip greens. His name was Troy and he was the owner of the farm. We learned that he farmed 4,000 acres, and besides turnip greens, he grew collards, mustard greens, string beans and peas and that he sold his crops McCall Foods, a large cannery located in Effingham, SC.

Trying to decide what was growing
Heart 0 Comment 0
Melons - Kerry was right
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bees for pollinating the melon plants
Heart 0 Comment 0
Troy and Kerry
Heart 0 Comment 0
Turnip greens - one of my favorite foods
Heart 0 Comment 0
Harvesting mustard greens. It smelled good!
Heart 0 Comment 0

As were arrived at our hotel, the owner came over to welcome us. She was delighted to learn we were from Crystal River. Her daughter was married in October to a man who lives in Citrus County. It turns out that he is an oral surgeon who has an office about 1/2 mile from our house!

Mr.and Mrs. Ashok Patel own the Baymount Inn. Their daughter recently married an oral surgeon who has an office in our community in Crystal River.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 miles (85 km)
Total: 570 miles (917 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0