Day 10: Yemassee, SC to St. George, SC - Two Far 2017 - Florida to the Canadian Maritimes - CycleBlaze

May 7, 2017

Day 10: Yemassee, SC to St. George, SC

After a lazy Sunday morning and a good Waffle House breakfast, we got rolling a little after 10:30. I hate to tempt fate by saying this, but it was another perfect cycling day. We had temperatures in the 70’s, light winds and a gorgeous bright blue sky.

The sky was a beautiful blue today
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode north out of Yemassee on Alt 17. Traffic was very light on a Sunday morning. The scenery wasn’t particularly interesting – woods and wetlands most of the way.

Wooded US Alt 17
Heart 0 Comment 0
Swampy wetlands
Heart 0 Comment 0

Kerry spotted this little store about 10 miles into the ride and stopped in. He came right back out. I guess the merchandise inside was about as old and crummy as the outside of the building.

Old store Do you see Kerry?
Heart 0 Comment 0

We rode on to Walterboro, SC for a lunch stop.I can’t speak to the entire population of Walterboro, but the subset who were having lunch at Wendy’s today were the friendliest bunch of people we’ve encountered on a bike trip. After we parked the bike and went in, a few people came over to ask what we were up to and where we were going. I’m not exaggerating when I say that at least 2/3 of the people who were there came and spoke to us, asking about the trip or just wishing us well. It was a very nice experience.

Hwy 15 between Walterboro and St. George was pretty busy. A few miles north of Walterboro, we came to Colleton State Park. We took a little detour and rode through the park. It was a nice, quiet break from the road noise. It’s small park on the Edisto River and has an attractive campground.

Kerry got comments about there being no pictures of me, so here I am.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Edisto River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Enjoying the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were numerous historical markers along the road today. Not so interesting, but something to see as we rode along.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yellow flowering crop? We have no idea, but it was a pretty field.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We got to our hotel about 3:30 and are resting up for tomorrow’s 54 mile ride to Manning, SC.

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 517 miles (832 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0