Day 7 Starke - A Little Two Far - CycleBlaze

March 2, 2019

Day 7 Starke

Heart 1 Comment 1
Gail CullinanJust getting caught up on your adventure! We arrived home last night. Too bad about the rain you are dealing with, hopefully better weather for the rest of your trip. Safe travels. See you soon. Gail and Jerry
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We had a nice, short 40 mile route today.  There was a high chance of rain in the afternoon, but we thought we'd get an early start and be here in Starke by 1pm.  Of course, it didn't work out that way.  When we were getting ready to leave, Kerry found that we had a completely flat front tire.  There was a large hole in tube.  The rim tape had shifted, exposing a spoke hole, causing the tube to burst.  The only bike shop in High Springs didn't open until 10:30, so we passed the time playing Euchre.  (Ken and Kerry were way too lucky.)  At 10:30, we showed up at the bike shop, Kerry got his new rim tape and had the bike ready to roll a few minutes before 11:00.  

Heart 0 Comment 0
Notice the handy-dandy pvc pipe stand for the front fork that Kerry made and brought along just for this type of event!
Heart 1 Comment 0

We made a couple of rest stops and then reached the restaurant where we were going to have lunch about 1:30.  The afternoon thunderstorm forecast proved to be accurate and the rain started just after we arrived.  Unfortunately, it was to be an all afternoon rain, so at about 3PM, we decided to go for it and ride the final 16 miles.  

"Yup, still raining..."
Heart 1 Comment 0
Staff at the Simmer Down Lakeside Grille in Lake Butler, FL.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It rained the whole way (16 miles) to our motel in Starke.  We rode as fast as we could on rough old asphalt (not pleasant and we were pooped, but hey, we did it!) These are the days that make me so happy that we just don't camp.  A hot shower, and a warm, dry bed make up for a lot of wet miles!

One of our ongoing jokes is about whether it is hot or cold out.  Ken and Francie from the Pacific NW are used to 60's and 70's.  Kerry and Jeanna are comfortable when it is in the 80's-90's.  Often amusing.  JS & FG

Today's ride: 41 miles (66 km)
Total: 320 miles (515 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0