To Suvereto - The Tuscan sun when it's in our faces really shows ...... - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2023

To Suvereto

The warm spring weather that Italians have been expecting for this time of year has finally arrived!  We enjoyed our second breakfast at AL B&B32 and the wonderful coffees our host makes to go along with it. When she heard we were going to West to Suvereto today, she suggested that we could see the nearby town of Campiglia Marittima. Scott thought that this would work out very well as today`s ride was a bit on the shorter side.

We set off in the sunshine at 10:00am, retracing our route down the hill. However, we missed the planned turn off and had to go back up the hill only we went too far and missed finding the hidden road. Of course, it was there all along but turned out to be an very old, poorly maintained way out of Massa Marittima. The Garmin Operator Dude apologized for the extra hill climbing and suggested that we needed a warm up after the day off anyway. Ha ha.

Our opening navigational error was the only one of the day on the  short 30km ride that turned out to be one of our nicest rides so far.  It was the perfect road that cyclists really enjoy. It curved back and forth on a continually undulating surface. Much  of the ride seemed slightly downhill with a  ¨weeeeee¨ effect as we banked the bikes into the corners. There were no cars on the road and the views were excellent. We could now see why many cyclists come to this area to enjoy the riding.

Leaving Massa Maritimma. We enjoyed our visit and rest day here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice view of the orderly, green valley below. We will cross the ridge tomorrow.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Pat surveying the steep road down.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is a much nicer way to leave town - we took the quiet, car free route.
Heart 1 Comment 0
But there is a great view here from another direction and if you look way out on the photo you can just make out a glimpse of the Tyrrhenian Sea which is part of the Mediterranean Sea.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting patiently for the photographer. Nice single lane road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of those ¨weeee¨ moments!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Even the Italian scarecrows wear scarves!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some climbing required.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice olive grove with a house on the top of the hill.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The dappled sunlight was pleasant on the warm day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Happy client.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We switched roads to a larger one with nice smooth payment but it was still relatively car free.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Saturday morning group ride. More bikes than cars today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is much drier and warmer as we are getting closer to the coast.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Barry DevlinDetour to Mexico?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

Our ride to Suvereto was quick  and we were a bit sad that it ended. We rode up  a sharp incline to the town and stopped for a coffee at a piazza just outside of the town gates. By now it was just after noon and the tiny coffee bar was a popular place to be.  We sat at a table and Pat reviewed our hotel booking information while Scott loaded a route from Suvereto to Campiglia Marittima. Campiglia Marittima was up on a hill about 10kms further west. We went to find our place up beside the church. It was in fact a former convent, who would have guessed with a name Il Chiostro Apartments & Suites. Our suite was very large with a kitchen and likely several other bedrooms that had been closed off. We were happy to see that we could move into our room. Scott dropped his bags, ate a banana and piece of cake and was off for his ride. Pat was happy to relax and walk around Suvereto. 

From Summer in Italy website, ¨Suvereto may just be the perfect town; it's certainly one of the most charming villages in the Tuscan Maremma. Dating back to before 1000, it was once the domain of the Aldobrandeschi family. Here, time seems to stand still; its alluring old architecture and exposed stonework is still intact. The web of alleys and stairs circle up toward the fortress¨. What more can you ask for?

Just outside the main gate entering the Piazza Vittorio Veneto. Ready for coffee!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inside the tiny coffee shop - really not much more than a kiosk. But these guys already have their orders and they just prefer this space to enjoy their Saturday morning drink. Best spot is close to the bar.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This monument is in the center. Not really sure what it commemorates. Nice place for a coffee though.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The roads are tough to ride and the steep slopes make it practically impossible.
Heart 2 Comment 0
No touch check-in is super easy. Our host was there as well and showed us where we could store our bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Scott returned from his ride and declared it a great success. Campiglia Marittima is another amazing medieval tuscan village complete with a castle in ruins. That`s all he will divulge here but he will include a separate page of photos.

After an afternoon refreshment, Scott got cleaned up and we went out to explore another beautiful tuscan village.  There was a wedding going on at the church attached to our accommodation, so we were lucky to catch a bit of a beautiful ceremony.   Our "Congratulations from Canada!" were warmly received.

The route out of the church was quite a challenge for all the women in their very fancy shoes!
Heart 1 Comment 0
1954 Citroen.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sad dog.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of stairs lead you to the top of Suvereto where you get some great views.
Heart 1 Comment 0
View from the top.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This little girl loved to climb the stairs beside the restaurant. She kept both of her parents going the whole time. Very cute.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Tonight we had pizza for dinner at a casual dining restaurant. It was fun to watch the families out for Friday night dinner.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heading home and the party is just getting started.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 616 km (383 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Patrick O'HaraHa ha. We're also headed back 'home' when the party's started, too!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago