To San Quirico d'Orcia - The Tuscan sun when it's in our faces really shows ...... - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2023

To San Quirico d'Orcia

Scott told Pat that today was going to be basically a day off as the distance to San Quirico d'Orcia was only 18 km away and most of that was downhill or flat with just a short 3 km uphill into the town. That would be great as San Quirico d'Orcia is a bit of a larger town and it would have a laundromat. Our check-in time was not until 4 pm so we could fit everything in before going to the B&B. 

With the plan for the day set, we walked down the street to another building where our host at La Lanciotta arranged breakfast for their guests. Going through the property gate and down a set of stairs we could see a large table outside set for six people. For a very short time we were alone but were soon joined by a couple from Germany. They were on their way home to Berlin after attending a Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band concert in Rome.  They reported that it was an amazing outdoor concert in front of 60K people and the band played for 2 and 3/4 hours straight - one song after another! Soon a second couple from Belgium joined the breakfast table. It was great to meet these people and we had wonderful conversations. I regret that we do not have a picture. Breakfast was equally special as scrambled eggs and bacon were on the menu. A very nice change and  of course, the usual pastry trays were available as well.

We returned to our room, packed up and headed  downhill away from Monticchellio. Connecting to the Sp53 we commented that this maybe the first flat road upon which we have cycled any distance for days now. It was an odd feeling - not struggling to go up or just coasting down. We had a brief stop to check out a small fortified structure in Spedaletto before carrying on to Bagno Vignoni. The ancient village of  is located in Val d'Orcia Natural Park along the Via Francigena hike. The area  has been used for it's thermal waters  since Roman times.

Our breakfast was in the garden at this home.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Leaving our room in Montechellio.
Heart 5 Comment 0
We like looking at maps that can provide a bigger picture of our travels. We have been to several of the named towns all the way from San Gimignano at the top to Pienza nearing the bottom. We will need to come back again as there are many more to see!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Leaving Monticchellio on a tree lined street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Last look at the surrounding area and Pienza on top of the hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The right side of a 12 percenter!
Heart 4 Comment 0
Open road - nice cycling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
More road side views.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tip toeing through the tulips or some sort of pretty flowers.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A brief castle stop in Spedaletto. The original building dates back to the 12th century and has been renovated and used for several different purposes. The building now has an area converted to a hotel.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The area is popular with cyclists.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A warm day with some large clouds developing which will likely produce thundershowers somewhere in the afternoon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Bagno Vignoni
Heart 2 Comment 0
The town of Bagno Vignoni is built around this very large water storage facility. It is not a pool or a pond. It holds the water that you can see bubbling up from the ground at the far end and from there it was sent to other areas to be used in baths or industrial needs such as textile milling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The water flowing in the ditch here is warm. Channels can be closed off to send the water to other locations.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here is one of the ancient bath pools.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ginger cats are the best. We had one that was alot like this one - friendly and loved to climb trees.
Heart 3 Comment 0
One more picture.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Leaving Bagno Vignoni to San Quirico d'Orcia we had the choice of a designated cycle route or the SS2 highway which was likely busy with car traffic. The cycle route was the obvious choice for us. We took the first left leaving the village and then noticed the 15 degree hill sign.  Gulp. The road was a rough poured concrete and with some hard pedal pushing you could stay on your bike. When the cement surface ended the road became dirt but the hill never stopped or really flattened out. We rode, pushed and struggled to get ourselves up the 250 metres vertical over the next couple of kilometres. It was a tough hill and took over an hour to complete. Not exactly a short climb to San Quirico d'Orcia or a day off as promised by the guide! Our riding outfits immediately went into the wash.

Gravel going up. This is steep even if it does not look like it.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonIt definitely looks steep!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Pat wants to make it clear that we were both pushing! It's just that there are no pictures of Scott in this journal. lol
Heart 5 Comment 1
David MathersThe person with the camera holds all the power and isn’t captured pushing his bike 🚴
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Rose bushes at the end of the grape rows just to make it even more beautiful.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This section of road is part of a L`Eroica route that will be run on Sunday May 28th. For the riders it will be a downhill and a scary one at that!
Heart 3 Comment 0
We really only shared the road with a couple of these guys.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Interesting looking plant! We think it is an artichoke growing wild by the side of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Steve Miller/GrampiesDefinitely an artichoke.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Great views from the top as always.
Heart 2 Comment 0
At the top, looking toward San Quirico d'Orcia.
Heart 2 Comment 0

San Quirico d'Orcia had a very nice main street in the historic center. It is also on the Via Francigena route but the town does not have a tourist feel about it. We located the laundromat just out side the town walls. So nice to have clean smelling clothes again and as a bonus a great lunch spot right next door. We thought that this was a wonderful way to spend part of our afternoon.

Our favourite laundromat / lunch spot.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonPerfect place to do laundry with the lunch spot next door!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
The beer was a porter made by friends of the restaurant owners. It was outstanding and went very well with our crostini and sandwich.
Heart 4 Comment 0

We stayed at the B&B Il riposo del viandante. It was a really  nicely designed, small pension. It had great custom made furniture including tables, the wardrobe and the bed. Beautiful pieces. And a bike shop to die for.

Time to clean up my bike tool area!
Heart 2 Comment 1
David MathersBike workshop envy 👍
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Everything you could want and our bikes are running fine at the moment.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We looked around the town and enjoyed a delicious, simple meal in a neighbourhood feeling restaurant accompanied by an excellent locally brewed IPA. Even if it was not quite a day off, it was a great success! Be sure to look at the elevation profile at the end of the day`s ride.

The Collegiate Church of Saints Quirico and Giulitta, known as the Collegiate Church of San Quirico d’Orcia, is a wonderful Romanesque style church built on the remains of a centuries-old parish church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Inside the church.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The town well including a bucket that may have been used to draw up the water.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The S. Maria.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The main town square in San Quirico d'Orcia.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our restaurant. A nice small, friendly, relaxed atmosphere. Sometimes this is a nice change from the full dining experience.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The local IPA we shared went perfectly with our meal. Two great artesian beers in the same day! This one was also brewed right here in San Quirico d'Orcia.
Heart 3 Comment 0
We both had the savoury pie of the day which was potato and zucchini served with a small salad.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 18 km (11 miles)
Total: 467 km (290 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0