To Pienza - The Tuscan sun when it's in our faces really shows ...... - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2023

To Pienza

Today was one of the first days that we woke up to blue skies! The weather pattern seems to have now changed and the next few days there are only isolated chances of rain in the form of afternoon thunder showers. We took full advantage of today`s weather with another hilly ride through the Tuscan country side but today it was almost entirely on the famous L`Eroica white roads and of course the never ending hills. 

In Buonconvento we stayed at the Hotel Ghibellino. Its location was great and they really catered to cyclists with good bike storage and a tool area in the front. The breakfast was basic  but not uncommon from what we are experiencing in Italy. The usual cheese, ham, hard boiled eggs, cereal and yogurt to get your day going.

We headed back into the walled village to organize a sandwich for the road and by 10:30 we were rolling up a steep hill just beyond town. In fact, we climbed 100M on 15 degree slopes in just over our first kilometre. Good morning legs! The paved road ended shortly after that and the unpaved road began. The road surface was  smooth. The recent rain has made the surface firm and tacky but not muddy at all. There were also loose rocks spread about and that kept our speed quite slow especially on downhill sections. 

The road we are riding between Buonconveto and Pienza has L`Eroica directional signs at every corner as this section will be part of one of the course routes. We think about how difficult it would be to ride with speed on these roads.  We are not taking any chances! 

From Wikipedia, ¨L'Eroica is an annual non-competitive cycling event which has taken place since 1997 in the province of Siena, Italy. The theme of the event is vintage cycling, with participants using vintage bikes (up to and including 1987), accessories and clothing, and the route often including unpaved roads. It is held in the first Sunday of October. The event is open to everybody, but cyclists participating with a vintage bike are honored with a certificate certifying their participation. Vintage bikes are defined by characteristics typical of racing bikes used until the 1980¨

L'Eroica events are now held at various times all around the world. Eroica Montelcino is one event being held this next weekend.

The Eroica routes of Buonconvento, Chianti and Montelcino.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Barry DevlinAnybody riding an old Trek Fisher mountain bike?
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
First of the day and it is going the wrong way!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking down the hill as two other cyclists on ebikes are arriving at the top.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Great scenery near the top.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering L`Eroica white roads for the next 20 kms.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
More great views today. You can see small villages in the distance.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Zooming in for a closer look.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Amazing green hills.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Red flowers that line the sides of the road are full of bees.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltCrimson clover.

https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/64268-Trifolium-incarnatum
Reply to this comment
11 months ago
It is a nice riding surface but not at all fast. Happily, we are in no hurry.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Just enjoying the wonderful views on both sides of the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Coming down one hill and looking up the next.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The roads were great fun to ride as there were almost no cars anywhere.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not sure what the message is but you do need caution on the downhills.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lots of climbing today.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We passed a few small settlements along the road today and stopped at Lucignano d`Asso for a picnic lunch. It is an exceptionally well preserved tiny village. As we were heading down the road a golden lab came out of the fields to see what we were doing. He never barked or got very close but he must have run beside us jumping in and out of the long grass for the next two kilometres. We were not riding very quickly and still stopping now and again and he would show up from no where. He really knew the area well. We were actually getting concerned that he may not leave us, but it seems he was just playing with us for something to do. Village dogs have quite the life!

Huge water containers installed for the L`Eroica riders. Seems like a lot of water.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch spot at Lusignano d`Asso.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of swallows here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our lunch view.
Heart 2 Comment 1
This area is famous for its olives and white truffles that can be found in the fall.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This dog is an absolute beast - following us at full run for at least two kilometres. He is quite wet as he plows through tall fields of grass.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonThis is the kind of dog I like to see!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

We arrived at Pienza around three and decided to have a quick look around  before finding our spot for the night. The town was not overly busy but there were quite a few people enjoying the warm sunny Sunday afternoon. Pienza is worthy of the attention as it is a very beautiful, well maintained, walled village. The views of  from the promenade just beyond the gates are equally special. 

Another wonderful day of cycling in Tuscany is something to celebrate!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lots of narrow streets.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
Worthy of a painting.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Just outside the walls is a panorama promenade - also a great ¨selfie zone¨.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Waiting our selfie turn.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ta da!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Val d`Orcia and Mount Amiata
Heart 3 Comment 0
Another direction.
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Pienza.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love the old village community wells. I imagine the buzz of activity around these important places for hundreds of years while people fetched their daily water needs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Close up of the bell tower as the sun is getting lower.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Dinner was a sampling of Pienza`s famous pecorino cheeses and other delectable local appetizers. Tomorrow we ride on to two other Tuscan favourite hilltop towns: Montepulciano and Monticchellio.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 28 km (17 miles)
Total: 422 km (262 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Rachael AndersonAnother great day!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago