To Cecina - The Tuscan sun when it's in our faces really shows ...... - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2023

To Cecina

Today we continued to head north and out to the Mediterranean  coast. Coastal waters are always a big draw for us; maybe because we live near the ocean at home. But at the same time, cycling inland in Italy has been so enjoyable  and from previous experience we have found that the road networks can get very busy with cars when water and beaches are nearby.  So, today we rode to the town of Cecina to dip our toes in the water so to speak. It was another exceptional ride!

There was no breakfast offered at Il Chiostro Appartamenti but we had picked up some yogurt and fruit the night before to get us going in the morning. We were rolling out of Suvereto by 10 o`clock and along with many other roadies, headed up into the hills. With all the cycle traffic out today we sensed that the road we have chosen must be a nice Sunday morning ride.

The day started with a gentle 4 or 5 percent grade along a twisty road through thick vegetation as well as the odd sunny stretch. The temperature was perfect for riding in short sleeved shirts. Twelve kilometres into the ride we reached the top of the hill, almost 300 metres up, and more than ready for the coffee we missed at breakfast.

Vespa - the iconic Italian scooter.
Heart 3 Comment 0
This map provides half of today`s route. Suverato - Sassetta- Castagneto Carducci. The area looks to be great for outdoor adventures.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a massive rosemary bush at the side of the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pat heading into one of the many curves taking us up the hill.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Nice and cool on the tree lined road.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Wall repair.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Many cyclists on the road and no cars really at all.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Nice forest views as we head further up.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Loaded lemon tree.
Heart 4 Comment 0
House on the hill. Very private. Long hike in.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A serious group of weekend riders. They were moving! I was just lucky that my camera was already out taking a picture of the view.
Heart 3 Comment 0
A desperately needed coffee and panini stop in Sasseto.
Heart 4 Comment 1
Rachael AndersonI don’t know how you can wait so long for coffee!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
In Sassetto.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Picture purfect.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Leaving Sassetto.
Heart 3 Comment 0

From Sassetto, the road was a a great serpentine six kilometre run downhill to the next town - Castagneto Carducci. So much fun to ride! We pushed our bikes past the castle in Carducci and  up and down the narrow alleys eventually stumbling on to the main commercial street. Spotting an ATM machine, we decided that it may be a good idea to get some more cash as the last machine had limited us to 200 euros. Success as we discovered that this machine will provide higher levels of cash! In our excitement, we did not notice that this was a loan shark machine and the exchange rate had a 15% additional charge beyond what would be considered to be the market purchase exchange. Let`s just say we paid a bit of a premium for this cash.

We stopped at Piazza Eugenio Curiel and had a snack on a bench overlooking the Tyrrhenian Sea where we were headed. Checking out the road network below from our perch, we confirmed our routing for the remaining 30 kilometres before we set off for Cecina.

Pat well banked into this corner! Picture from the front for a change on a downhill run.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Church in Castagneto Carducci.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We could not fit our loaded bikes down there even if we wanted to!
Heart 3 Comment 0
Giosuè Carducci was the first Italian Nobel Prize winner. His prize was for literature.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Ha ha. The loan shark machine!
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott Anderson15%! That’s appalling. I’ll have to start reading the fine print.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Main street Castagneto Carducci.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Piazza Eugenio Curiel. It s one of the most loved places in Castagneto but today we had it almost to ourselves.
Heart 3 Comment 0
View from Piazza Eugenio Curiel. We can see the Tyrrhenian sea now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
View looking another direction.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The remainder of the ride to Cecina was also great. We took the sharp hairpin corners down from  Castagneto Carducci and passed a couple of younger ladies riding fully loaded bikes up the other way. We felt their pain and offered encouragement. Then we turned onto the reasonably quiet Strada Provinciale roads at the foot of the hills for next 25 kms before  turning left and heading toward the water. 

Cecina has a large town area about two kilometres above the beach area. The town also boasts  a wonderful beachfront promenade lined with condos, hotels, restaurant, bars and shops. Everything you could want at beach resort town. It was a  very different experience  from the previous nights of our tour. Not much history or culture here but one night couldn`t hurt! 

As it was Sunday afternoon or maybe just the time of year, the area was very quiet and we enjoyed a beer at a beach bar and then checked into our hotel room. We made a quick trip to the local Conad grocery store for some water and to replenish our road snack box items. Unfortunately, our hunger got the better of us. The sandwich, chips and beer that we bought to enjoy on our massive deck overlooking the beach spoiled our dinner plans. But we did enjoy a nice gelato as we strolled up and back the 1.5 km promenade in the wonderful  warm evening  with the smell of the sea in the air. It was a great finish to another great day of touring.

Up by the hills, this area is full of vineyards and wine tasting opportunities.
Heart 3 Comment 0
It was a nice road to ride in the afternoon sun.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The wine route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The view of the street below from our deck. We had a wonderful location to stay in Cecina.
Heart 3 Comment 0
There were a few public access points to the beach but the majority of beachfront is managed by businesses that rent chairs and umbrellas for the day.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Killing time waiting for the sun to go down. Cute couple.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Scott AndersonCute alright. Great shot!
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Patrick O'HaraScott beat me to the comment! Ditto.
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Setting sun in Cecina.
Heart 4 Comment 0
End of the day, heading home. A quiet beachfront town now.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 52 km (32 miles)
Total: 668 km (415 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 1
David MathersSounds and looks like the perfect day👍 We experienced a similar perfect day on the south east coast of Italy 🇮🇹 Enjoying following along 👋
Reply to this comment
10 months ago