To Sonoita - A Short Southwestern Sojourn - CycleBlaze

October 30, 2016

To Sonoita

And the wave continues

It's still forecast to be hot today, but cooling down a bit.  We'll be climbing gradually all day and ending near 5000', which looks like enough to drop us several degrees at least.  After today it is supposed to cool significantly, so if we make it through today we'll be back to much more seasonable weather.

Our inn features continental breakfast brought to the room starting at 7:30, which is too late for us.  Instead, Rachael cajoled the innkeeper into dropping off a breakfast last night so we could get an earlier start.  We were out the door at 7.

Today's ride is a deep V shape.  We start the day by continuing south toward Nogales and the Mexican border, still following the Santa Cruz river 'upstream' - though there's not streaming happening - the bed has been dry since Tucson.  There must be water underground though, because near the river it is quite green, bordered by palo verde and mesquite.

Except for one very brief spell where there's a fair amount of water in the channel - enough to attract the birdlife.  On the bank, a dozen or so black vultures mill around.

Leaving Tubac
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two bikes in Tubac
Heart 0 Comment 0
Roadrunner, near Tumacacori
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Tumacacori Outpost
Heart 0 Comment 0
Preparing for another scorcher
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the Santa Cruz River, near Rio Rico
Heart 0 Comment 0
Black vultures, the Santa Cruz River
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mesquite-lined bike path, Rio Rico
Heart 0 Comment 0

Just north of Nogales we turn northeast along the eastern arm of our V-shaped ride.  For the rest of the day we follow Highway 82.  By now it's starting to get warm, but not yet oppressively hot like yesterday.  It helps that we have a bit of a tailwind to cool us down, and that the sun is low enough still so that we get occasional patches of shade.

This is a beautiful road, following Sonoita Creek (also dry I assume, although we're never close enough to it to be sure).  The foothills have an interesting, choppy contour, and ranges rise up behind them on both sides of the road.  I'm really surprised by how green much of this landscape is, particularly once we climb to about 4000'.   It's not at all what I had imagined we would encounter here.

Northbound on Highway 82. I think the distant range must be in Mexico.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Highway 82, south of Patagonia
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking east from Highway 82, south of Patagonia. The house-like formation in the center is the bank of dry Sonoita Creek.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along Highway 82
Heart 0 Comment 0
Along Highway 82
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stopped for lunch in Pategonia, only 13 miles from the day's final destination.  I was happy to be here and get a chance to cool off and escape from the sun for awhile.  It's cooler today, but not enough to suit me - it is still in the upper 80's.

After lunch we chatted for a while with a pair of retired codgers watching the world pass by from their bench in front of the cafe.  They were friendly and well meaning, but had a few too many stories about local drivers and their lack of respect for bikers to suit us.  Soon enough, we cut them off and headed back into the sun again for the few remaining miles.  All hot, all under a full sun, and all slightly uphill.  It was fine with me when we saw the town limits come into sight.

Somewhere between Nogales and Sonoita
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great lunch stop, Patagonia. Two large glasses of milk, three large glasses of water, and a ham and Swiss cheese sandwich with potato salad. Should sustain me for the final 13 miles to Sonoita.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Walking over to The Steak Out to check out the menu. In the back is the Sonoita Inn, our lodging for the night. There's not much to this town - you're looking at a large chunk of it.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At sundown, we walked out to enjoy the sunset, took about two minutes to take in the sights of Sonoita, and then headed next door to The Steak Out, apparently a revered institution in these parts.  Neither one of us is really a steak eater, and we weren't sure we'd care much for the live intertwine the either.  It was great though - a decent meal, a colorful venue, and decent singers.  

Looking west from Sonoita at sunset
Heart 0 Comment 0
Knocking out Pancho and Lefty (the great Townes Van Zandt song) at the The Steak Out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Memories of the old west, The Steak Out
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 miles (79 km)
Total: 104 miles (167 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0