Back to PDX - A Short Southwestern Sojourn - CycleBlaze

November 14, 2016

Back to PDX

Climate change

We had a very pleasant last night in Tucson, walking over to Reilly's Craft Pizza and Drink.  Great pizza, and a decent craft beer selection.  The walk itself was pleasant - warm and balmy, just after sundown under the glow of a super moon, along stylish Scott Avenue.  We didn't really do justice to Tucson itself on this tour I'm afraid.  It looks like it would be a fine city to get to know better, but we didn't look around much.  Hopefully we'll make it back some day.

Toby, the fabulous Griffin statue on Scott Avenue. Tucson has some wonderful public art, that we didn't see enough of. If/when we come back, I want to make more time for exploring the city itself.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The flight back couldn't have been smoother.  It didn't leave until a bit after noon, so there was plenty of time to have a decent breakfast and finish packing at a leisurely pace.  Best, it was a nonstop - something we almost never enjoy - and we arrived back in PDX, relaxed and well rested for a change.

The Mission Mine, one of several large open pit copper mines scattered across the region. It's named after San Xavier del Bac Mission (out of the picture at the bottom) that we visited on our first day out on our way to Tubac. Keystone Peak is in the upper right, above the wing; and I-19 is in the lower left, following the valley south toward Tubac, Nogales and the Mexican border.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was pouring in Portland when we arrived; and the next morning, driving to work down in Salem, it rained so hard that it was a bit frightening.  The change in weather hasn't been the only climate-shock for us on our return though.  While we were out of town there was an election, followed by five nights of demonstrations and riots that made the national news.  The Starbucks that I have my morning coffee at has three large windows covered over with plywood, and the Chinese restaurant across the street looks the same.  It's a bit depressing to come back to, after the solitude and refuge of two weeks biking in the desert.

We'll get over it soon though of course.  Portland is a terrific place to live if you love cities, and a great biking town too if you don't mind working around the wet spells.  And, we each have something exciting to come home to.  After almost twenty years of service, we're moving our Cannondales into semiretirement and starting over.  Rachael is picking up her new Surley Straggler tomorrow.  She's very excited about it - she hasn't really quite trusted her Cannondale since her accident last year, and the Straggler should fit her better - smaller wheels (650b), a bit more nimble, a bit more like the Bike Friday.

The Surley Straggler
Heart 0 Comment 0

For myself, I'm getting a Rodriguez Adventure, a touring bike made in Seattle.  It's a mix of seventieth birthday present to myself, a commitment to the future (I plan to keep cycling long enough for an investment like this to make sense), and a fulfillment of an old dream.  I remember looking longingly at the Rodriguez forty years ago but couldn't justify the cost on a pizza-maker's salary. If not now, when?  I can hardly wait.

The Rodriguez Adventure
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0