Why Bangkok? - Toodling Treadler: SE Asia - Round Two - CycleBlaze

February 21, 2016

Why Bangkok?

Why Bangkok & Thailand, you ask? For several reasons...

Not one of them...
Heart 1 Comment 0

First: as I said it's a cheap flight from Perth. Maximum value for minimum cost; it drops you right into the heart of SE Asia and so close to Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and China. Bangkok is often a cheap destination from the US, Europe and Asia.

Second: travel in this country is easy. The infrastructure here is fantastic. You can easily hop on public transport (bus/train/plane) to almost any point in the country and neighbouring international destinations are also easy and cheap to access. Some of the local airlines do a free "roll on/roll off" bicycle service, too. Yes, no cost free - you ride your bike up the counter and they roll it straight onto the plane, as is. Good food is everywhere, cheap and delicious; accommodation is plentiful and also relatively cheap; the people are friendly and accommodating; and the scenery is pretty good. And for most western countries, a free 30 day visa is available on arrival.

Have I sold you on it yet?

Third: they "get" cycling here. Big roads/highways are no fun, no matter what country you ride in; here, there are many quiet small back roads you can ride. You might even try short cuts across paddy fields, farm tracks and small villages. When you have no other options, even the larger roads and highways often (but not always) have a motorcycle/bicycle lane. There are a fair few people pedalling around on bikes, even in the cities and car drivers generally respect your small footprint on the road and pass safely. When you enter a town on a bike, most people greet you warmly and will go out of their way to help you out if asked.

This is one... Neemo. Together with Parn they own and run GrannyBike, a haven for cycle travellers.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is another one: the vibrant culture. It's a Chinese religious holiday and the temple is so densely packed with worshippers that there is a scrum at the entrance pushing to get in.
Heart 1 Comment 0
'Nother case in point: Just a random temple door snapped on my way to the ferry to pick up my Myanmar visa.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Fourth: they understand cycle touring. You will find cycle tourists from many nations pedalling around SE Asia and Bangkok seems to be the hub from which they all travel to/from. Hotels usually understand the need to accommodate you and your bike safely. I take the bags up to my room first and then carry the bike up. It is seldom a problem. If a hotel does object to storing your bike securely, then the hotel down the road probably won't - no worries...

Just some of the bikes stashed at GrannyBike Hostel. They literally hang from the rafters...
Heart 1 Comment 0

Fifth: if you need any bike parts, or even an entire custom built touring bike, this is the place to find it. You want an Thorn Nomad, with a Rohloff and Ryde rims... no worries. I'm getting GrannyBike and Bok Bok Bikes here in Bangkok to custom build me a touring bike (a Surly Troll). The Shimano factory is in Malaysia and their parts are readily available and cheap. Many of the quality touring frames/bikes are now made in Taiwan (think Surly, Thorn, Rivendell, Velo Orange) and can be picked up here at a reasonable price, sometimes cheaper than you can get them at home. As I write this Parn is downstairs putting the finishing touches on the bike and it will be ready to ride tomorrow.

Nee with my Troll: 26/02/2016, 0600 hours, the morning Philip and I headed north for Myanmar.
It's hand built, by experts and will probably last me out the rest of my lifetime.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When I leave after a few months of tootling around, the bike will stay here in storage. I have a bike here ready and waiting for my next adventure. Oh, and it's at least 15% cheaper than I could have had it built in Australia.

Grumpy Curmudgeon - Grannybike Hostel, February 21, 2016. A man sorely in need of mindful cycle travel, and perhaps a clothes iron.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Book that flight!

I pick up my visa for Myanmar next Wednesday and then I'm out of here. Between now and then I'll tart up these entries with a few photos....

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0