To the Edge of Perth - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

May 28, 2021

To the Edge of Perth

Cunderdin to Mundaring

Mark Baker the friendly truckie from Albury.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Joel and I surprised ourselves today. We unexpectedly rode 65 km by mid morning, then assessed it’d be wise to push on to avoid wet weather. We finished up doing 125km which brought us to within 40km of Perth CBD. It was a hard days ride due to rolling hills and heavy traffic as we got closer to Perth. 

A highlight of today was meeting truck driver Mark Baker from Albury NSW when we were eating at Northam. Mark was very chatty and said he’d passed by us several tines in the past few weeks. He’s an owner/operator and freights long distance routinely. Mark was very complimentary about our high vis clothing and flashing lights. He said they were a major help to truckies and they’d communicated about us from truck to truck. This is why we’d often noticed large interstate trucks slowing and changing lanes to help us.

We found accommodation (The Travellers Rest) just in time in Mundaring. The skies opened with very heavy rain just as we checked into the cabins. 

Cunderdin’s commemoration of a flying school
Heart 1 Comment 0
This excellent riding surface ran for about 150km from near Merredin to near Northam.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Meckering town was badly damaged by an earthquake in 1968. This is a sample of the damage. Water pipes contorted and broken.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storm clouds gathered all day.
Heart 2 Comment 1
John SaxbyGreat cloudscape! The Cloud Appreciation Society wd like that one, I'm sure.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
View from near Northam as we rode the undulating rangelands.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bakers Hill bakery. Great place to stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Art in the bakery
Heart 3 Comment 0
Accommodation at Mundaring. Travellers Rest.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My left hand is looking worse for wear after yesterday’s fall. My right-side ribs look ok but feel like the hand.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 125 km (78 miles)
Total: 3,784 km (2,350 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 2
John SaxbyNearly there! Wd Tylenol help your paw, perhaps, for the last few hours?
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Graham SmithTo John SaxbyThanks John. Yes I have some paracetamol. Thankfully the injury is only painful in certain positions, and not painful when riding.
Only 40km to go. And I’ve been told ‘it’s all downhill’ by a local.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago