The Kindness of Strangers - Against The Wind - CycleBlaze

April 29, 2021

The Kindness of Strangers

Wheel Problem

This morning didn’t start well.
I discovered a broken spoke on the back wheel. On the non-drive side.  It’s the first broken spoke I’ve ever had on a cycle tour.
Co-rider Ian has spare spokes / tools but I didn’t want to rely on those yet.
John had already mentioned a bike shop he’d visited at Waikerie about 30km away from Morgan. The plan was for Ian to ride on toward Balaclava where he’ll catch up with a friend. Joel and I would attempt to hitchhike to the Waikerie bike shop with the rear wheel. Joel also wanted to buy some spares.

Within 25 minutes, a  community nurse Janine had given Joel and me a lift from Morgan, all the way to the door of C&C Cycles on the outskirts of Waikerie. 

Within 40 minutes Craig Ward, co-owner of C&C Cycles,  had fixed the wheel and custom cut spare spokes.
Just as Craig finished the repair, two local government people arrived to talk to him about building extension plans he has submitted for approval. They delayed the discussion with Craig, and instead, one of them kindly gave us a lift into Waikerie. 
From here a fellow call Bill from Cadell gave us, and the repaired wheel a lift back to Morgan and we were pedalling again by 1:30pm.

So thanks to the kindness of strangers, the day worked out well. We covered 60km to Erdunda in a half-day of riding.

The remarkable Paul Lucas. Paul was staying in a neighbouring cabin. He’s almost completed a solo tour the length of The Murray River mostly off seal. He’s a retired electrical engineer who volunteers his skills and time to enable disabled people to access outdoor recreation. For example he accompanied a quadriplegic friend who travelled the length of the Murray River by kayak. Paul has also designed and built equipment which enables disabled people to enter and disembark self powered river craft.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Thanks Janine for giving Joel and me a 30km lift to the bike shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thanks Craig for making time to repair my rear wheel. You kept the show on the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of C&C Cycles interesting vintage bikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I highly recommend this bike shop.
Heart 1 Comment 0
C&C Cycles is a bit out of town. Near Waikerie.
Heart 1 Comment 0
How to get back to the bikes in Morgan 30 kn away
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thanks Bill for the lift. Much appreciated.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Thiele Highway to Erdunda. A historic rail siding. The line has been long closed.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Historic pub on the road to Eudunda
Heart 1 Comment 0
Massive succulent plant. The countryside looks semi arid in the area. The Goyder Shire.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltInvasive century plant.

https://www.cabi.org/isc/datasheet/3851#d4eb99eb-4e3b-493b-b32c-acd6addda66d
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Pasture paddock
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking south west from the Thiele Highway
Heart 1 Comment 0
Unusual looking eucalyptus tree
Heart 2 Comment 0
Post harvest wheat field
Heart 2 Comment 0
Stubble burn off
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arrived just before sunset
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,193 km (741 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0