The Infamous Cap Formentor - Here Comes the Sun, Spain 2022 - CycleBlaze

May 17, 2022

The Infamous Cap Formentor

Each day has been jam packed with experiences so today will be a photo montage of what we saw along the way. I'm hoping it will help me catch up on the journal because yesterday was a doozy.

Cap Formentor

I had never heard of Cap Formentor before we started planning this vacation, but to many cyclists it is highly sought after ride with hills and jaw dropping scenes of the azure seas at the base of precipitous cliffs along the way. The end of the road, the Cap, is home to a lighthouse.

Sometime last fall the road slid down the hillside and ever since, a blockade has been in place. It keeps the car traffic at bay, but it's not so successful at keeping cyclists away. It's become a sort of moral decision whether or not to jump the barricade (or at least haul your bike up and around it). Today, the barricade was manned so that settled any quandary we might have had.

 So here are photos from ride our ride out and back to Cap Formentor and then out and back to Cala St. Vinçenc which is a bay just to the south of PP.

Looking back at PP from the lower section of the road to the Cap.
Heart 2 Comment 0
It's a long, steady climb, followed by some nice hairpin descents.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Goat gate keeper. He was a real pushover.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The azure blue of the water is mesmerizing.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Somebody had a good view of the tourists today.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Cars were stopping everywhere and anywhere, like this guy. I can't really blame them because the scenery was incredible. So, I am riding the white line to go around him.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cliffs drop right down to the sea.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Cap Formentor lighthouse in the mist.
Heart 6 Comment 0
That was plenty close to the edge for a photo of the lighthouse, IMHO.🫣😬
Heart 4 Comment 0
Second view on the return, of that incredible bay.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Formentor beach. I was hard pressed not to jump in, but the thought of soggy shorts keeps me upright.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Another uphill section took us to the big downhill back to PP.
Heart 3 Comment 0
These flowers were at eye level on the rock wall as I was easing my way up the hill. Look like dandelions, but no. They must be brothers from anotha' motha'.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Spunky little plants like this survive the harsh conditions.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Dwarf Spanish foxgloves waved in the breeze from their crevices in the rock wall.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The road out to Cala St. Vinçenc was a real treat. Bucolic scenery this time, no big hills. We considered having lunch here but the cafe got slammed by a bus tour so we only had an ice tea, then moved on.

Cala St. Vinçenc is another beautiful beach. It's just about 10k from PP.
Heart 3 Comment 0

While we were enjoying the view over that azure bay, we chatted with a group of British cyclists from Birmingham area. They asked if we had been to Tolo's yet and if not, we should go. We were glad we did. Not only is it filled with British cycling memorabilia from the Tour de France, but they serve fabulous food and have a great bar and wine collection. The bike racks out front are always packed. The patio is beachside so the views are great and there's a lovely breeze off the water. The staff is awesome, too.

We stopped by Tolo's for post ride drinks on the recommendation af a British cyclist we met on the ride today.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Tolo's is an institution in the local cycling scene. There are signed jerseys adorning the walls and that is Bradley Wiggins' time trial bike from the Tour de France in 2014.
Heart 2 Comment 0
More special Tour de France jerseys.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This is a genuine lion d'or from the Tour de France. It lives with one of the Tolo's waiters, who is an institution, himself.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the scene along the beach at Puerto Pollensa.
Heart 3 Comment 0

We decided to try dinner at a historic PP restaurant, Celler La Parra, established in 1962. They started out as a wine cellar and locals would bring their dinner here so they could have their wine right from the spigot. Too bad we didn't get photos inside, because it is a unique building and still has a lot of the wine making equipment on display. They say their menu hasn't changed. It is a home cooked meal. Not bad.

David had the lamb loin in pepper sauce. Those potatoes are quite yummy. Crunchy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside.
Heart 4 Comment 0
This was my grilled fish dish, sea bream.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Elevation gain: 2201

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 148 km (92 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Scott AndersonWow. Looks like just our kind of place.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Anne AnastasiouWe're officially added Mallorca to our bucket list. Would love to hear from you later what you think of it as a hiking spot. Mac's Adventures has a short, but nice looking walk there. Or we could probably do something ourselves. Keep enjoying! Glad you are keeping healthy and the weather is holding out for you. Looks amazing! xx
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Anne MathersThe hiking here looks fabulous, Anne. You two will love it. We see hiking trails galore in the mountains. The hotbed of hiking and rock climbing is where we are headed next, Soller. And at the end of the day, there's always a beach, a bar and awesome restaurants to choose from.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Keith ClassenHmmm! We may have to somehow work in Majorca if we make it over this fall.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago