Port de Pollensa to Soller - Here Comes the Sun, Spain 2022 - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2022

Port de Pollensa to Soller

Today is a transfer day when we move on the our second hub in this vacation, Soller. To make this simple, we had arranged to have our luggage shuttled to our hotel in Soller. We get to ride there.

We had one last 10-jammer breakfast on the patio under the pines. Then we each did a 360 spin of the roundabout just for fun and said our adios to Asunwho works at reception. She is a fabulous lady and we always look forward to a little banter with her whenever we pass reception. Her Catalan accent is almost musical. We will miss her. If you are ever in Port de Pollenca, get in touch and we will fill you in on why we loved our stay here.

We each took one last spin around the roundabout at the Hotel Eolo. We will miss this place.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Asun worked the front desk at Eolo. She always had a smile for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is tray one of the last breakfast on the terrace at Eolo. Tray two was for cakes, doughnuts and pastry.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We plotted out a simple course through the foothils to Soller. The road punches through the Tramuntana range just after Bunyola. We would be repeating a short section which we rode yesterday to Campanet.

Mallorca's hills and mountains are terraced with dry stone walls. They are home to olive trees.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bougainvillea reminds me of a fancy fllaminco dancer.
Heart 2 Comment 0
There is something about flowers adorning stone walls. It doesn't really matter what the flower is, they just go together well.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Oleander grows willy nilly here and there along the roads and laneways and it's often grown as a hedge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Classic Mallorcan scene, taken from a laneway.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We cruised along the small roadway and could hardly believe our eyes when we came upon the Fenwicks ... again! We stopped and chatted with Scott and Pat. They are doing a mini tour and would be stopping at one of the towns we will pass through today. I hardly know what to make of these chance meetings other than what a great surprise and pleasure it is and how we would not have know of each other were it not for this site.

Finally found the fruit on these trees. In spring the blossoms in these almond orchards fill the air with their heavenly scent.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sheep graze under the almond trees, fertilizing the soil.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A small col in the foothills of the Tramuntana on our way to Bunyola where the real climb begins.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We saw several decrepit, worn out windmills in the farmlands of Mallorca. This one is renovated and operates as a restaurant.
Heart 4 Comment 0

When we arrived in Bunyola, we bee-lined for the square when we spotted a waitress carrying food on a tray from the restaurant across the street. A Saturday market was just wrapping up and the tables and chairs were filling up.  We both had avocado toast with chia seeds. My iced coffee hit the spot as the temperature had 31 degrees by now. I had noticed a bike with panniers leaning against the wall nearby but didn't think too much of it as there are bikes everywhere. 

We were out of water so I strolled down the street to find a supermercato where I picked up a 1.5L bottle of water for 0.29 euro. So, that's what the real price is! And I thought 1 euro was a deal in Port de Pollensa. As I came back to the square I heard my name being called out and I looked over to find David chatting with Ann and Steven from Montreal. They are also Cycleblazers. We knew they were on Mallorca but again, what are the chances? That's two in one day! 

We stopped for lunch in a square in Bunyola. To our (and their amazement) we crossed paths with another Cycleblaze couple. Small world, indeed.
Heart 4 Comment 1
ann and steve maher-wearyIt was great to bump into you at the square. We really liked Bunyole too. Enjoy your days around Soller, it sounds fabulous.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mid way up the col de Soller, with a view of Palma de Mallorca, where we landed on May 14..
Heart 2 Comment 0
The col de Soller is a very nice climb. Lots of hairpins, few cars and only about 7k long.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Down we go... right turn, left turn, right tun, left turn... watch out for that pothole ... hope there are no cars on this corner... let it roll, brake on, brake off, turn. And repeat.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Soller is nestled in a valley between the mountains, about 5km from the coastline at Port de Soller. It is a maze of narrow streets and historic buildings and it's packed with great restaurants and bars. It is a central hub for hikers and for cyclists who want to challenge themselves while exploring some astonishing landscapes. And, also for day trippers from Palma who can take a historic train ride here.

We rolled in to Soller after the long descent from the top of the col de Soller. Drivers are cautious and we do appreciate it most of the time. But sometimes they are cautious to a fault. Like the puny little Kia that sat on my wheel for 5km while I was holding my line at 48kmh into Soller. There was lots of room to pass at any point. All's well that ends well though and I'll take a slowpoke any day over a hothead at the wheel.

Church in the main square of Soller, designed by a student of Gaudi.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bank next to the church was designed by the same person.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Our hotel is located just behind the church on a very quiet street. We were welcomed with a cold drink in the courtyard. After cleaning up and a short rest we headed to a restaurant just 50m away where we had the most sublime dinner. Pictures and words can't possibly convey how wonderful the food was. Here they are anyway.

The most sublime dinner experience started with a salad of orange, rocket, pickled red onion and an orange foam dresssing.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Then, we had 'capucchino of vegetables'. Another foam dish. Looks odd but it was delicious.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And lamb schwarma with mint sponge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
David had the cheesecake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Home made ice cream for me.
Heart 1 Comment 0

 Elevation gain: 6894 metres.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 73 km (45 miles)
Total: 436 km (271 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetIt’s interesting that all six CycleBlazers on Mallorca just now are Canadian. It’s definitely on our radar, just not this year.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Anne AnastasiouGlad you are happy with your new location. Looks amazing and the food wonderful. The pics are reminding me of Corsica, with less crazy roads which is good! Hope you continue to have a great time.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago