Day 5: Macarthur to Port Fairy - Using our free train tickets - CycleBlaze

October 25, 2015

Day 5: Macarthur to Port Fairy

Distance: 50km
Average: 22.9km/h
Weather: 25C with northerly tailwind about 20km/h -at last! Just as we arrived at Port Fairy the northerly dropped and a strong southerly came in!

The next morning after we enjoyed a wonderfully cooked breakfast in the Tea Rooms, we strolled around town looking at the interesting buildings and reading about the history of the town, which celebrated its 150th year in 2007. We packed the bike, and said fond farewells to the owners and they took our photograph standing on the pavement next to our bike, out side their establishment: we were off on our way to Port Fairy.

cooked breakfast
Heart 0 Comment 0
Michael standing next to Macarthur 1867 Lock-up. Almost 100 years before Ikea the Poms designed these units as flat packs to send to the Colonies where they were assembled by local tradesmen. There is sheet steel between the inner and outer timber skins and it is claimed that no-one ever escaped from one of these units. This unit was conveniently situated next to the town Court House, the building with scaffolding currently under renovation.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Michael standing next to Old Pioneer carved by Kevin Gilders (2007) to celebrate Macarthur's 150th - 1857 (Or two old timers!)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Macarthur B&B and Tea Rooms
Heart 0 Comment 0

Following the C184 Hamilton - Port Fairy Road through town we crossed the Eumeralla River and rode along as the kilometres passed by we crossed the Snakey Creek and noticed that some farm properties had roadway under passes so their stock could walk under the roadway from one side to the other in safety.

We Rode over Deep Creek and through Broadwater with an interesting turn off called Dog Hole Road, we stopped occasionally usually by stands of tall dark green pine trees to have a drink and home made biscuits from the b&b and another photo opportunity. Soon we crossed Shaw River and rode through Orford and noticed that many farmers had already cut their grass to turn it into hay for the winter. We rode on and on across wide vistas of green grass/trees and blue skies as far as the eye could see, and then we cycled into Port Fairy the famed small fishing village on Victoria's Shipwreck Coast, with its wide streets lined with nineteenth century cottages, great Norfolk pines and old stone churches.

On the road to Port Fairy ...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The locals here are not keen on coal seam gas fracking!
Heart 0 Comment 0

After signing in to the Port Fairy YHA (1844 merchants home) we walked around the block to the local supermarket and returned with milk and groceries for lunch. We later walked around town looking at the shops and familiar old buildings, later that night we cooked dinner in the YHA kitchan and watched tv.

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 258 km (160 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0