Wurzburg - sightseeing - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2014

Wurzburg - sightseeing

We awoke feeling relaxed as this is the first day of our cycling journey that we don't have to pack up and get on the road.
It is extremely hot and it is tempting to stay at camp as it is a bit cooler here.
However, we decided to buy a day ticket on the tram and visit the Palace and the Fortress which dominates the city.
Once we got in to town, we opted to devote our time to the Fortress as it is a historic marvel and had escaped significant damage during the war. Its foundations date back to the 8th century and the grounds cover 12 acres. Originally, this was the residence of the Bishop Prince. During these times, church and state were one and the Bishop Prince had tremendous power.
During the 30 years war, 1618 to 1648, the Swedish army took it over
and it began to serve a military function.
As so often happens to us, we signed up for the English tour (free with entry) and Barry and I plus the tour guide were the only participants. Of course, the German tour was quite large. So, we enjoyed a private tour of the grounds and buildings. An informative and fun tour.....and the view - amazing.
The temperature hovered at 38 degrees celcius - too hot!! So we happily returned to camp to recover. A cold shower and sitting still in the shade really helped.

We had lunch at a one hundred year old konditori. The cakes were delicious. Our favourite was the Rhubarb cake topped with meringue (the Black Forest was pretty good too).
Heart 1 Comment 0
The tourist office is housed in a beautiful building, "Falkenhuas". It received its ornate stucco facade in 1751. It was right next to where we ate our lunch and cakes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On a hot day, the coolest place to be is in a church.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The ornate Court Church at the Private Residences.
Heart 1 Comment 0
At the rowing club in Wursberg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We rode the bus up to Fortress and then walked through the cool tunnel into the fortress grounds.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These pools were used to dip horses to ready them for their duties.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The moat was never filled with water. In fact, until the Swedes stormed the fortress, it was considered inpenetrable.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our tour guide, Jasmine, was an incredible source of information.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The front tower had a dungeon that housed criminals.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen standing by the entrance (a recent addition) to the dungeon. In former times, inmates were lowered by a rope through a hole in the floor above. There was no access on this level and only a small slit for air and light.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Entrance to the building that houses the well.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The lower tower contains the well which is 100 metres deep. The beautiful design of the water tower and the decorative statues show the value of water to the people who lived here. Only the upper class were given clean water - the workers and soldiers were paid in wine and liquor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An amazing task to dig this 100 m deep well by hand so many centuries ago.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lookig down at the well - the water is not still, it is running water as it is the level of the Main River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These stone balls were used as weapons, catapulted from a window.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many and labyrinthine alleys and tunnels in the fortress.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Spectacular view from the fortress to Wurzburg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0