We spend the day sightseeing in Plzen - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2014

We spend the day sightseeing in Plzen

Having arrived in Plzen close to dinner time, we wanted to stay and sightsee in the historic town centre as well as a visit to the Pilsner Urquell brewery. Apart from the brewery, we hadn't heard much about Plzen that sounded interesting from other travellers. So, we were pleasantly surprised by what we saw.
It is graduation week for students here and we saw young people, boys and girls, dressed beautifully carrying floral bouquets. They posed in front of historic landmarks accompanied by their families. We could see that this is an important and time honoured tradition.
Bike route 3 provides easy access in and out of Plzen and avoids the heavy traffic - thanks for that!

Heart 0 Comment 0
This striking building is an Apotheke (pharmacy) and is embellished with painted frescoes and stone statues and carvings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A grad receiving her flowers. We saw many grads around the square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town hall in the square - decorated with paintings and historic information.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of the intricate detail on the town hall. The town's history comes to life on these walls.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like Bamberg, a concert/event is set up outside the Cathedral on the town square.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a great traditional Czech dinner here as well as unfiltered beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wendy and Chris from England - touring on their camperized Land Rover. It was a hoot to talk to them as we had much in common - including the unbelievable coincidence that their son is on his way to Saltspring Island in BC (our home). They had just toured the brewery.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The helpful and friendly reception clerk at our hotel....and an avid hockey fan. She was very knowlegable about the NHL.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Interesting and colourful architecture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
There was a modern fountain in this style on each corner of the square. Like so many historic European squares, we appreciate the blend of old and new.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The cathedral commanded the town square surrounded by colourful neo classical buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our digs for the night - in the centre of it all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cool restored vintage bike and trailer on a tour.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Colourful sculptures and play areas (including a mini climbing wall) in a park along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were able to access the brewery via the pedestrian bridge (red loop railings) from the centre of town - much appreciated as we were able to avoid the busy roads.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was much to see here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pilsner Urquell brewery in Plzen - an important and historic landmark for Czech Republick. Some are concerned that the quality of the beer may deteriorate as the company is now owned by an American company. However, we agree with the opinion that their unfiltered beer (pivo) remains the best.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 21 km (13 miles)
Total: 837 km (520 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0