We spend the day in Frankfurt - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 27, 2014

We spend the day in Frankfurt

We decided to take the train to Frankfurt for the day to sightsee with Cora. Taking the train is so convenient in Germany-frequent runs and affordable. There is little reason to drive in to the city.

Cora and Mary Ellen in Frankfurt train station. It is a very busy station with level access to trains for bikes - no stairs to navigate.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking the U train across the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Frankfurt has an interesting skyline with many striking modern buildings. We went to the top of the Main Tower (the tallest building with a viewing gallery on the roof) to enjoy the surroundings.

Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking down the Main River - we will be cycling along this river next week.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora explaining the sights as well as pointing out the region where she is from.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking at Old Town, which has been rebuilt - much of Frankfurt was destroyed during the WWII.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A River Cruise Boat on the Main River.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Opera House is quite a beautiful building - rebuilt to replicate the original that was destroyed during the war.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were lucky to come upon a food festival and we decided to have lunch here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch - local beer, local apfel (apple) wine, currywurst and fries.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frankfurt is famous for its Apfelwein (apple wine). You can mix it with water or Fanta lemon.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frankfurt is an easy city to navigate and we appreciated the wide pedestrian walkways.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This fountain is based on a book of children's stories by Dr. Heinr Hoffmann. The stories taught children how to behave by showing humorous consequences for misbehavior.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora is identifying the characters and their stories to me. Wonderful detail in this fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora has the book at home and this is the cover of the book of stories.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking at the Main Tower from the street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frequenting a bakery is something we like to do. We enjoy Germany's bakeries as they offer good coffee and interesting pastries - all for a reasonable price.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Kleinmarkthalle - this market has three levels - fish market, produce and meats.
Heart 0 Comment 0
White asparagus.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Smoked bacon - especially delicious when thinly sliced.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were intrigued by the different colour of this asparagus from what we have in BC. The bright green of this asparagus is very appealing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frankfurt is known for its green sauce which is served with potatoes. This packet is full of the seven fresh herbs that are used to make the sauce.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This tiny stall sold sausage/bun/pickle as snack food.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Romerburg -old town. This area has been rebuilt to replicate the old buildings destroyed during the war.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Detail of the door on the Romer (Rathaus - town hall)
Heart 0 Comment 0
Frankfurt has ambitious plans to continue rebuilding the core of the old town for several blocks. It will combine old and new with condos and commerce. It will be completed in 2016.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A sobering sight - the Old Jewish Cemetery surrounded by a stone wall with thousands of small plaques memorializing Jews who died during the war.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The end of a good day in Frankfurt - waiting for our train.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0