We Arrive in Germany - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2014

We Arrive in Germany

The flight was very bumpy with a lot of turbulence - glad to get off. We must remember not to take another flight with a stop in Calgary - about an hour and a half of waiting on the plane added unnecessary time.
More and more, we are finding that the joy of flying is being replaced with a sense that it is just a means to an end. Service and comfort are not priorities on flights now.
Nonetheless, we are excited to be in Germany and are looking forward to finding our friends who are picking us up.
The bags arrived shortly after we did and everything looks ok.

All of our bags arrived safely at the Frankfurt airport
Heart 0 Comment 0
Justus and Cora met us at the airport with a wonderful sign designed by Clara. What a lovely way to arrive in a foreign country - being greeted by friends. Cora is even wearing the Canada flag socks that Mary Ellen gave her last year.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first sighting of a German slug - orange colour is different than the native British Columbia slugs that we are familiar with.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We went for a walk with Cora in the forest at Heeidenhauschen - we were treated to wonderful views of the countryside and the remains of a Celtic settlement from 500-600 BC. After days of inactivity (packing at home) and sitting for 10 hours on a plane, it was great to walk in nature.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We now understand that this is a place for hunters and not for bird watching!
Heart 0 Comment 0
A commemorative plaque describing the Celtic settlement.
Heart 0 Comment 0
After climbing the hill, we went up a few more steps to......
Heart 0 Comment 0
...enjoy the view of the Hessen countryside.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Cora is an amazing baker - and this is cake #1 - fresh strawberries from her garden topping a yummy creamy cake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We have been enjoying regional German cuisine at each meal - today is a specialty from Frankfurt: potatoes with green sauce (made with 7 herbs), bratwurst and cucumber, tomato feta salad.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Various sausages (including Barry's favourite: blood sausage), cheeses, pickles, bread....
Heart 0 Comment 0
A perfect meal - complimented by local beer. We enjoy the label with a wild boar featured on it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0