We are part of a peloton!: Dresden to Riesa - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2014

We are part of a peloton!: Dresden to Riesa

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Dresden - the hotel was a step up from our usual accomodation and the breakfast was probably one of the best we've had travelling. The hotel is known for their restaurant/chef and we can see why.
Leaving the hotel was a bit of a leap of faith as the humidity has returned full force and we know that we are in for a tough day on the bike. We hope that the thunder storms will wait for us to get to our destination.
The ride out of Dresden's Neustadt on the north side gave us a spectacular view of the skyline. It is Sunday morning and we see families, couples and friends out for a relaxing day together. Soon we started to see more and more cyclists wearing the same green t-shirts. We discovered that we were in the middle of an annual cycling event ("cycling party") that has thousands of participants riding on 30/60 and 120 km rides. Well, it seems that we are finally in a peloton, and we will ride with them to Radebeul. It was congested, festive and lots of fun. At one point, there was such a bottleneck on the trail, that we all walked our bikes.
At Meissen, we decided to abandon the scenic north side of the river for a bit of shade and crossed the bridge. We took refuge in an air conditioned gas station and enjoyed some ice cream.
We are finding that the trail in this area is mostly cobbles, some gravel, and very bumpy.
We checked out a camping place at Gohlis, but it was a bit odd, deserted and no breeze or shelter. So, we pushed on to Riesa. As we pulled up and stopped at a side street, a man came out of Pension Friedland and offered us a room for 48 euros including breakfast. We must have looked a bit desperate! We hadn't intended on staying there, but the prospect of an immediate cold shower won us over. This guesthouse is family run and a special place. Our room was comfortable and the dining room was full of original historic paintings furniture and was truly a labour of love for the owner. We felt like we had had a personal tour of a museum when we ate our breakfast. We each had at least 3 cold showers while we were there.

A fine breakfast at Hotel Privat in Dresden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many wonderful things on offer at the breakfast buffet.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hotel Privat
Heart 0 Comment 0
A little guy out for a Sunday ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We came upon this model plane festival outside Dresden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The plane festival was well attended.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The skyline in Dresden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A father and son taking part in the Dresden bike rally. It was impressive to see little guys like this doing the 30 km ride.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We went part of the way on the trail, only to discover that the roads were closed for the rally - so we joined them on the road. It was fun.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This woman in her wheelchair was one of the rally's participants.
Heart 1 Comment 0
One recumbent rider in a sea of riders.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A hand cycle participant.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We saw many forms of cycling: hand cycles, wheelchair assisted cycles, recumbents (1 and us!), child carriers, etc. and all ages and sizes of participants riding.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The goats were pleased and perplexed that so many people had come to visit.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our peloton approaching Radebeul. At this point they will cross the river and return to Dresden on the bike path on the other side.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An unusual sight as most of these old windmills have disappeared.
Heart 0 Comment 0
What a hoot watching this swan so determined to open the car door on this vehicle. It pecked along the side until it came to the handle and worked away at it. We are sure that the car's owner will be wondering what all of the marks are from .
Heart 1 Comment 0
I am sure that the swan would have opened the door if he had had a key.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We like the concept - stop for ice cream!!
Heart 1 Comment 0
There are still old steam-wheel boats offering tours on the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Zehren on the Elbe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Neuhirschstein Palace - rebuilt in the 17th c. and again in the 19thc. The Belgian Royal Family were held prisoners here in WWII.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the route out of Dresden.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This whimsical water fountain was welcome on this hot day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A party boat on the Elbe.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The water fountain - just push his red use and water comes out his mouth.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Jan was cycling on his own from his home near Hamburg. We shared a meal with him at a Doner Kebab in Riesa.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 56 km (35 miles)
Total: 1,279 km (794 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0