Torgau to Dommitsch: Our shortest day yet: too hot and humid to ride - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2014

Torgau to Dommitsch: Our shortest day yet: too hot and humid to ride

The town square and Palace at Torgau are very interesting to explore. Historic buildings and neighbourhoolds were fun for us to ride our bike around. We even saw 2 bears who live in the moat at the Palace. That was a surprise!
As we rode along the trail, we quickly realized that we couldn't ride out the storm. The visibility was decreasing, the skies were black and we felt like we were riding in an oven. The tourist office at Dommitzsch tried to find us accomodation but all of the penzions and hotels were full. We tried one but found it too expensive and poor value. So we headed for the campground hopig that we wouldn't have to camp. They offered us a bungalow for 18 euros and we gratefully accepted. The storms lasted through the night - heavy thunder and rain. We were happy to be inside and dry. This campground is certainly off the beaten track and we can't imagine that many cyclists come here. No one spoke English, but they were very friendly and accomodating.
We really want this weather to break. It is clear to us that we need to limit our travelling until the weather clears a bit.

Town hall in Torgau - beautiful original detail retained.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hortenfels Castle in Torgau - an impressive complex, but like so many historic buildings here, reconstruction is ongoing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These 2 bear live in the moat at the castle.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A side street in Torgau. The 3-D painting on the exterior of the building at the left is often seen which adds an interesting detail.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We love the fountains in the town squares of these historic towns in Germany. This one is in Torgau.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fountain with a sense of fun
Heart 0 Comment 0
Storks have provided us with much entertainment on our journey. These two were very busy and active in their nest which was perched on a pole alongside the road.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
This barn cat was curled up by the sheep and lambs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A stop at the local bekery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A locally made fountain in the town square in Dommitzsch. It was so hot and muggy and we could feel the storm advancing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A close up of a detail on the fountain.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An appealing, whimsical detail on the fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our wee cabin at the campground in Dommitzsch - it gave us shelter from a fierce thunder storm.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our cabin looks serene now - but when we arrived it was completely dark at 4 pm and stormy.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAlways a relief to be safe indoors in a storm!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago

Today's ride: 22 km (14 miles)
Total: 1,350 km (838 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0