To Plzen - the home of Czech Beer - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 23, 2014

To Plzen - the home of Czech Beer

It was the oddest start to the day - we discovered that this region is flat. For about 5 km, we rode on a paved, designated bike path (the first we have encountered here) and had no hills. We knew this wouldn't last, so we made sure we enjoyed it.
The impressive gates of the monastery at Klaster Tepla drew us inside for a look. It is undergoing a massive reconstruction. We could see that it had been allowed to deteriorate for some time. The areas that have been completed gave us a glimpse of its former, and now restored, glory.
After this, the flat terrain abruptly ended - we climbed for several km. through incredible farm land dotted with small lakes. At the top, we had a 360 degree view for miles. The timing of our past 2 trips have taken us through farm lands at harvest time. We are enjoying seeing the lush landscape of fields in full growth.
As we pulled in to another spa town, Konstantinov Lazne, (even more low key than Marianske Lazne), we were delighted to leave the pot holed trail and be greeted by a brand new paved bike trail. It lasted for a few km, but was a treat. This small town of 800 people has 400 beds for people who come for medical spa treatments. It has a gracious, peaceful air with many parks.
On the main drag, we saw our first cyclists of the day - a couple from the Netherlands. They pulled over to talk and to share tips on the trail as we were coming from opposite directions.
As seems to be the trend when leaving a spa town, we were once again tasked with climbing a nasty hill on a series of switchbacks. Once we got to the top, we met another Dutch couple who were cycling back to Holland. From this point on, we were on top of the world and gradually made our way downhill (with some ups of course) to Plzen.
We wanted to stay in a Pension or Hotel as we felt we needed a break from camping - and the next campsite was about 10 km along the way. Plus, we wanted to check out the town centre in Plzen as well as the Pilsner Urquell brewery.
The first few hotels were too expensive, so we ventured in to a 4 star, Hotel U Zvonu hoping for the best. The clerk was very kind and offered us a reduction which made it very affordable. We had a lovely room with a bathtub!! located in the centre of town, including breakfast. We were interested to find out that a former NHL player, Martin Straka is the owner of this hotel.
Dinner at a nearby pub with great Czech food and unfiltered Pilsner beer.

Betlem Campground at Bezdruzice - recommended.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Paved trail, flat terrain, exercise equipment and good signage - nice!
Heart 0 Comment 0
These Czech signs show that this path is for pedestrians and cyclists. We like the whimsical touch of the bow in the little girl's hair and the hat on the man.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We often see these stones commemorating the community or citizens along the road
Heart 0 Comment 0
The gates to the Monastery at Klaster Tepal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We stopped to take a picture as this paved bike path was brand new and was a stark contrast to the pot holed, eroding surface we had been riding on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Lunch in the park at Konstantinov Lazke.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the hotels with a therapeutic wing, mineral springs and spa for people seeking treatment.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The mineral water well at the hotel.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The first cyclists of the day - met at Konstantinov Lazke. They were helpful as they were riding from Prague to Amsterdam.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dutch riders are inspirational as they seem to have a strong sense of adventure, travel widely and will tackle any challenge.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The beginning of the second serpentine route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This small church was here for hikers (and cyclists). There was also a well with a cup to refresh a weary traveller.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is riding solo up this steep part - it is easier if the tandem is lighter -so I walked.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We made it to the top - panoramic views.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another Dutch couple, Pete and Jepie, who had ridden our route in reverse. The Elbe from Hamburg to Prague and now back to Holland. We envied them their e-bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our first glimpse of the city of Plzen in the distance. We enjoyed a mostly downhill ride in to town. We were pleased that the bike path avoided the suburban/industrial sprawl and guided us directly in to the centre of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Pilsner Urquell unfiltered beer - by far the tastiest beer we have tasted this trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry's dinner - a traditional Czech meal of pork belly with mustard, cabbage salad, pickles, etc. - a specialty of the house.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Mary Ellen had beef simmered in a rich dark beer sauce with potato dumplings, sauerkraut, carmelized onions - yummy.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 816 km (507 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0