Tangermunde to Havelberg: Heat wave continues!! - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 19, 2014

Tangermunde to Havelberg: Heat wave continues!!

We had a very hot and not very intersting ride to Havelberg. We opted to ride on the right side of the river. This area was especially hard hit by flooding and we could see evidence of this. At one point, we had to backtrack and take the road as much construction is ongoing to replace the dike (which broke during the flood of 2013)and recreate cycle paths.
There is not much prosperity in this area and no shops or commerce. We stopped at the one cafe we saw and had an ice cream. We found the area dusty and hot.
We crossed the small bridge to the Island (Insul) at Havelberg and we were greeted by Peter's friendly wave. The canoers had beaten us here. Like us, they had a hot day on the river and were relaxing by their bungalow at the Kanu Club.
We took a look at the campground, which was very busy, crowded and hot. We opted to also take a bungalow at the Rowing Club. 20 euros for a cabin and full use of their facilities. Karin (and her friend Sylvia) were very helpful and hospitable.

Peter and Holger leave Tangermunde in the morning. They are getting an early start to beat the heat of the day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry is helping a member of the rowing club get her boat trailer out of the water, She is heading out to row on the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Tangermunde Rowing Club - we would come back here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old city gates of Tangermunde.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The crest of Tangermunde on the gate.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The 16th century half timbered houses of Kirche (Church) Strasse are well known in Tangermunde. These homes escaped damage during the wars and are remarkable to see today.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Picturesque houses with glimpses of inviting courtyards through the arched driveway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Close up of detail above a door on one of the houses.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A beautiful door frame on this house.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The eagle is an important symbol for Germany and this town. This eagle is on an Apotheke (Pharmacy) sign.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We met Anna outside of Prague a month ago. She was on her way back from Cuxhaven. We met her again by accident while shopping in a supermarket.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltWow, everything piled on the front of the bike/scooter!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
We are fascinated by her push bike with a 700cc front wheel. She could go really fast. These are popular in Czech Republic. There is very little maintenance - only brakes, no gears, chains.... Still, we prefer to be able to sit down.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltAgree - - I think I would get tired of standing all the time!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Havelberg skyline...the Rowing Club is on an island (insul) and we rode over this pedestrian bridge to get to our bnngalow.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking across to Havelberg from the island.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 55 km (34 miles)
Total: 1,782 km (1,107 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0