Sand am Main to Bamberg: Camping at the Canoe/Kayak Club - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 13, 2014

Sand am Main to Bamberg: Camping at the Canoe/Kayak Club

Riding out of Sand am Main we saw beautiful countryside - we are riding happily along the river on flat terrain in hill country.
A few km. along the trail, we encountered our camping neighbour Josef. We admired his set up and his initiative. For us, it somehow seems easier to ride a bike!
The miles seemed to fly by today - before we knew it we were approaching the village before Bamberg - so we stopped at a store for our usual strawberries and yogurt.
A short day of riding - setting up the tent at Bamberg early in the day and we're off to see a bit of Bamberg.
Our friend Cora had told us about camping at Kanu Clubs along the rivers. As we don't have this opportunity at home, we were glad of the tip. Armin Hein looks after the reservations and the campground affairs of the Canoe Club (when he is not at his other job). We found him to be most helpful and responsive with emails about how to reach him and set up camp.
The campground is an easy 15 min. walk in to the Old Town of Bamberg and it is located on an Insel, surrounded by water - the Main Donau Kanal and the Regnitz River.
What a treasure Bamberg is! Its history spans 1000 years and sustained very little damage during the war. As a result, it boasts one of the oldest intact cities in Germany. We have decided to buy the Bamberg Card at the Tourist Info so that we get an Audio Walking Tour of the highlights, free bus travel and free entry to many of the museums.

These kids at the campground were fascinated by our bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I guess we're good to go - we got the official thumbs up...
Heart 1 Comment 0
Josef (with his self designed walking trailer) ready to go - his destination for today is 40 km north of Bamberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had to take a picture of a Bike and Bett Tandem Hotel, even though we didn't stay there.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One of the many breweries in Bamberg - est'd since 1405.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The shape of this sign for a guesthouse is based on the Franken wine bottle.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The historic (and always busy with tourists) Schlenkerla brewery.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A break in the clouds gave wonderful light to the rooftops and the Monastery of Bamberg.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Rathaus had impressive fresco paintings covering the walls.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A tour guide ready to start his work day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A beautiful building with ornate carved stone over the walkway.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 km (21 miles)
Total: 582 km (361 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0