It is even hotter today - hard to believe: Wurzburg to Schwarzenau, Campingplatz Mainblick - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 10, 2014

It is even hotter today - hard to believe: Wurzburg to Schwarzenau, Campingplatz Mainblick

We got an early start to try and survive the heat.
At one point, we came out of an air conditioned grocery store and it felt like we had stepped in to an oven. Temperatures were in the high 30's (95 F).
The ride today was not as spectacular as some previous days. Some of the towns were interesting and picturesque, but we encountered a bit more industry which required that we leave the river and ride across farm fields by the road - pretty but stiflingly hot.
Luckily, we turned off at Schwarzenau in search of the campground. We have not encountered many well run campgrounds with good amenities along the Main. It has been a struggle to find campgrounds with opportunities to charge our electronics and internet. This campground is well run, with oodles of amenities and charm, a great restaurant, swimming pool, kitchen, etc - all for 12 euros.
When we arrived, we told the owner that we needed a cool, shaded spot - and he gave us a special spot directly on the river.
Tomorrow, thunder storms are predicted - that will be a relief as we really want this heat wave to break. Perhaps a guesthouse tomorrow night to escape the rain and thunder.

Canoe Club Wurzburg ( our campground) from across the river on our way out of town.
Heart 0 Comment 0
World Cup fever at the campground
Heart 0 Comment 0
It's great to be riding at this time of year - fresh local strawberries and yogurt for lunch.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thumbs down to an unusual feature on the trails - a gate that we had to take the trailer off and walk to get around.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were trying to feed a lonely (and not too clever) pigeon - and suddenly we were surrounded by eager (and smart!) ducks. This guy was really quick and accurate at catching bread.
Heart 0 Comment 0
These ducks (and some pigeons) were our instant friends when they saw us eating our sandwiches.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Campingplatz Mainblick - a memorable view from our primo site on the river. It pays to ask for a quiet site with cool breezes as we noticed that the other cyclists were stuck near the road in an open field.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 53 km (33 miles)
Total: 442 km (274 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0