Czech Republic to Germany - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 4, 2014

Czech Republic to Germany

Wow - today was a day of superlatives. The scenery was incredible: high rock cliffs, rock climbers scaling the heights, limestone cliffs, castles and fortresses at the top of the cliffs....It became hard to know how to capture the reality of it on film. With each pedal stroke of the bike, we would share our wonder at the sights we were seeing.
Staying at Camp Fortune last night was a really good experience. The owners are great people and we really liked jumping in to the swimming pool after our hot day of riding. The balcony off of our bedroom was a pleasure for us to use to have our coffee and enjoy the incredible view and sunset.

We began the day with the frustrating situation of needing food for breakfast. There were no shops or cafes along the way - and finally we found a Kaufland's in Decin. Kaufland's is like a Costco at home. That is, it is immense and as it is organized for Czech shoppers, it is confusing for us Canadians. It felt like we walked several football fields to simply find provisions for breakfast. Workers in the store took me under their wing, and would walk me to the item I was looking for. I appreciated their great service, and I'm sure that the language barrier made it easier for them to show me rather than try to tell me where it was. The time it took ate in to our precious travel time. We ate our breakfast in a park in Decin surrounded by dramatic scenery as well as watching rock climbers scaling the rocky cliffs across the river. If there is one thing that we are sure of, it is that we will never endeavor to try this sport. It made us anxious just watching their progress up the cliffs.

When we got to the Czech/German border we felt sorry to leave this great country that has challenged us and given us such joy as travellers. It is bittersweet, as we are also excited to return to Germany. We have spent much time here in the past 3 years, and it has become a place we love and are beginning to understand. We are planning another route for our return to Czech Republic on a later trip. There is much more that we want to explore.

We met a couple from Germany earlier in Czech Republic who had ridden south from Hamburg and they told us that their favourite part of the Elbe was the section from Prague to Dresden. After the last two days of riding, we can understand their point of view. It is hard to imagine that it can get any better than this.
We took a couple of ferries to cross the river and take advantage of what we hoped would be a better route and perhaps fewer hills. This was a good idea and we enjoyed our brief time on the water. We even tried an alternate route that we thought would help us make time, but the heavy traffic scared us back to the regular route.
So far, we are finding that the signage is not great. Two things are helpful - follow the Garmin and stay on the route. The alternate routes leave you guessing as to where you should be.

We have finished our riding day at Camp Wostra, just a few km south of Dresden. We discovered that they offer an extraordinary kitchen, dining and TV room for campers. So, here we sit watching the World Cup - Brazil is currently leading in their game against Columbia (Brazil is a local favourite) and happily for our fellow campers, Germany defeated France, 1-0. After Grmany's victory, horns and bells and fireworks were ringing loudly in support of their team. It is fun for us to be caught up in World Cup fever in Europe. At this point, we're rooting for Holland and Germany to make the final. But our support also goes to Brazil as they are an amazing team and we can see that they carry the weight of their country on their shoulders.

Vladamir and Dana, the couple from the Czech Republic that we met at Camp/Hotel Formule have a total of 56 gears with their Rohloff hub and their Swiss made Schumpf gearing system.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Their Czech made tandem
Heart 0 Comment 0
Vladamir and Dana, on their way. It was a pleasure to meet fellow tandem riders and hear about their travels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our room at the Formule hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
The sunset view of the village church from our balcony at Hotel Formule.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really enjoyed having a balcony for our morning coffee and enjoying the views from the top of the hill.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our balcony is on the upper right.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another type of tandem riding.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Near Decin - set atop the cliffs.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We watched rock climbers scale these rocks.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of many ferry crossing for cyclists along this stretch of the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Czech/German border.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This hotel is in a picturesque setting, built in to the cliffs and alongside a small waterfall.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bad Schandau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bad Schandau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beautiful scenery
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
There really are people on top of this rocky cliff.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It is hard to see the people on top of the peak to the right of the treed area. How did they get there?
Heart 0 Comment 0
We can't resist waving at ourselves (and sometimes taking a picture) in these traffic mirrors.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The route in this area is spectacular
Heart 1 Comment 0
Hot dogs at a tiny cafe by the river
Heart 0 Comment 0
Taking the ferry to Bad Schandau
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our home for the night - Camp Wostra. We're getting close to Dresden.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 75 km (47 miles)
Total: 1,201 km (746 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0