Brandenberg to Werden: We Meet a Fellow Canadian Walking Around the world - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 22, 2014

Brandenberg to Werden: We Meet a Fellow Canadian Walking Around the world

As travellers, we always find something to enjoy wherever we are. Some places don't tempt us to return, and Brandenburg is one of those cities.
On the one hand, we stayed in a lovely pension in a beautifully restored old building. The couple who ran it were charming and we had a really lovely room with a deluxe bathroom. The only problem is that the traffic noise on the cobbles is unbearable. It is strange that the city funnels traffic and buses through the narrow winding streets of old town.
Our windows were triple glazed, but it was too hot to keep them closed. As a recommendation (and we do recommend this pension), get a room on the back. Not only does the traffic make it noisy and congested, it is dangerous. This is the first city we have visited where we have felt a level of aggression from drivers and as cyclists we took extra care.
On a positive note, the woman who owns the pension offered me free use of her laundry facilities. She saw us arrive, hot and tired, and she quickly jumped up to empty her machine so that it would be available. This is a rare offer and very much appreciated.
That being said, we saw a nice city park, some wonderful historic buildings and yet many buildings in the new and old parts of town are covered in graffiti. We saw houses being restored and fixed up and then comes the graffiti. It seems that money is being spent on the new part of town, but without a plan to integrate the old.
The ride today followed many lakes and was very pleasant. I know it is repetitive, but the heat is killing us.

We met a fellow travelling Canadian - Pierre - on the street outside our Pension in Brandenburg. Pierre is 68 and is walking around the world, 6 months at a time. He is from Quebec and he is 3 years in to a 7 year plan to make his dream a reality.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We laughed a lot with this gregarious French Canadian.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Like us, he also proudly carries a Canadian flag on his trailer.
However, he travels with minimal gear - no camera, phone, computer, etc. But he does have a tent and camping gear, as well as a new pair of shoes every month.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two Canadian guys in Germany....crazy Canucks!
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Rathaus (Town Hall) in Brandenburg. Roland's statue has herbs growing like a cap on his head - it is believed to ward off lightning strikes. We're thinking....forget the bike helmet, let's just grow herbs.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Roland statue is several centuries old - obviously the herbs work!
Heart 1 Comment 0
This venerable old wooden carving of a man just sitting on the bench is oddly endearing. We watched so many people sit down beside him and take his picture. He did a good job of guarding our bike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Internet has been really difficult to get in eastern Germany. Here, Mary Ellen is using the internet at the Brandenburg library: 1 Euro per hour - very good, but no wifi. It was interesting to type on a German keyboard (lots of typos).
Heart 0 Comment 0
Brandenburg felt to us like it has an identity problem. They promote the old town, but it feels deserted...and much of the rest of the town feels run down with much grafitti. After unification in 1989, many young people left the city and there is some concern about the future of this city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the remaining towers and gates of the old wall around Brandenburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A play on words - in the town of Wust, they called their Curry Wurst cafe, "Curry Wust".
Heart 1 Comment 0
How did they get the bike up and how does it stay? This sign reflects the importance and impact of cyclists on the region's economy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We had been riding along on our own for some time, when we came upon a large group of cyclists. One of whom was Canadian (Calgary). They were part of a Bike/Barge group who ride each day and sleep/eat on their barge. This couple are from Holland (Den Haag and Horrn) and they are the cycling leaders for the group.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltI've gone on those Bike & Barge tours and they are enjoyable!
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
A beautiful ride today along the Havel River and many lakes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This sheep has been caught mid snack - what a great face.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Grrrrr....nasty gates in this forest area. We understand that they are trying to prevent motorized traffic - but couldn't they make it a bit easier for a bike?
Heart 0 Comment 0
A hot sultry day...
Heart 0 Comment 0
Nice....the cars get cobbles and we get pavement - we like it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Riding in to the wind today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our shadow catches the afternoon sun.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The route through the lakes and forest around Brandenburg used these signs to guide us. Fahrradstrasse = bike street.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Germany is a land of incredible deli meats - good quality and tasty.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 1,961 km (1,218 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0