A short day of riding - Zellingen to Wurzburg - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 8, 2014

A short day of riding - Zellingen to Wurzburg

We are glad that we stayed in Zellingen as we are positioned well to arrive in Wurzburg for the weekend. We have been warned that since this is a holiday w/e, campgrounds and accomodation will be really busy. Plus it is so hot, we don't want to push too hard.
Last evening the "street party" at the campground was a lot of fun. We ate amazing food and made some new friends. We particularly enjoyed getting to know the woman who checked us in (and her family).
An early start got us in to Wurzburg in the morning and we were able to get a tenting spot at the Canoe (Kanu) Club on the river. Its location is superb, just across the river from Old Town, and also, we found out, a short ride by tram. We may do that tomorrow as it is supposed to be even hotter tomorrow (too hot to walk!).
After we set up our tent, we went for a ride around Wurzburg on our bike unencumbered. It was a joy to feel the peppy energy of our bike without a load. The city was quite quiet as all businesses (except Eis Cafes) were closed due to the holiday. We like Wurzburg and we will stay here a few nights.
We spent some time at the grounds and gardens of the Private Residences (Palace). A beautiful place.

We had a beautiful spot on the Main River at Zellingen. It was incredibly hot through the night and we sat and watched interesting working boats and cruise boats go by.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Barry loves chicken!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wurzburger beer - cold and full of flavour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at the campground festival - yummy.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tired from a hot day of riding, but happy after a cold shower, great meal and a cold glass of local beer.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We really enjoyed visiting with this woman (sorry, can't remember your name!) and her son Lucas. She worked in the camp office and invited us to join them. Lucas was interested in our business card which shows our Crazy Guy web address. I think he liked our picture.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
A good turnout for the "Street Party"...the chicken and bread were provided,and the campers provided salads. We felt very fortunate,as this celebration only happens once a year.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Striking cliffs and vineyards.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Regional (bike friendly) train on its way to Wurzburg (across the river from our campsite).
Heart 1 Comment 0
A sleepy Sunday morning in a village where we stopped for breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wurzburg provides guarded parking for bikes - 1 euro.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltNICE! Guarded parking for bikes! :) :)
Reply to this comment
6 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing the pedestrian only 12 Saints Bridge leading in to Wurzburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Wurzburg Town Hall - since 1316
Heart 0 Comment 0
35 degrees Celcius - 6 pm
Heart 0 Comment 0
Unfortunately, we spent time in a non-airconditioned MacDonald's to charge our electronics and take advantage of some wifi.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
An oasis in the city on a very hot day. It is hard to see that people are resting in the tall grass, cooling down from the heat of the city. We were intrigued that the parks in Wurzburg were not manicured but left wild. We found it quite inviting - nature in the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Within a city park, we discovered this sombre statue and area dedicated to the memory of soldiers lost during the war.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the beautiful gates leading in to the gardens of the Private Residences of the Bishop Prince in the 18th century.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many statues in the garden. This whimsical statue as well as the following picture share a staircase leading to another part of the garden.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This extravagent Private Residence became a Unesco World Heritage Sight in 1981.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Dom (one of 88 churches in Wurzburg) is quite beautiful inside - stark white with intricate carvings and woodwork.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were lucky to arrive while a pipe organ concert was in progress. Beautiful accoustics.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Outside the church was this thought provoking statue looking up to the top of the steeple. We're not sure why he is completely bound.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of the many river cruise ships we saw - this one is brand new and still being put together for the tour season.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The imposing fortress from the city.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Such incredible history within the walls of this fortress.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Old Bridge - 12 Saints Bridge - leading in to old town Wurzburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
When we returned to the Canoe Club Campground, we were surprised to see that the empty campground from this morning was now full with a group of kayakers. Note the River Cruise Boat in the background. Such an interesting place to camp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dinner at the campground Gastatte - pork steak and potato salad.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Gastatte had a food tent set up for the weekend due to the holiday. We took advantage of their special food.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 40 km (25 miles)
Total: 389 km (242 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0