A hot day with many wonderful meetings along the way: Lohr to Zellingen - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 7, 2014

A hot day with many wonderful meetings along the way: Lohr to Zellingen

The night at the campground in Lohr had its challenges. When we checked in they gave us a site with shade which we gratefully accepted. However, the problem was that it was by the front gate. We discovered later that a very large group of adolescents were staying there as well and up until 1 am, we couldn't sleep due to their noisy coming and going. As well, adults who had been to the Biergarten walked by our tent until the wee hours.
Nonetheless, we set off full of good intentions to make our way to Wurzburg. First of all it was very hot - high 30's and little breeze. As well, it was one of those days that travel is all about: full of the unexpected moments that enriched our day. We lost count of the number of people who stopped us to talk about our bike and our journey. At one point, there were 3 couples riding tandems who were chatting with us. A short lunch break turned into an hour and a half visit with interesting fellow travellers. We also got to know a couple from the Mosel River area who were riding new Austrian Stein trikes. We both agree that the distance travelled cannot compare to the experiences along the way - it was just one of those days.
We reconsidered our options and decided to stop in Zellinegen at a campground on the Main. We were so hot and feeling overwhelmed by our lack of energy. The woman at reception told us that they were having a special dinner celebration this evening and we were invited. Half a chicken, salads and bread for 4.50 euros and of course beer. A cold shower revived us and we joined the close knit community of campers for a most enjoyable evening.
That's what we love about travelling - you never know what may happen in a day and whom you may meet. All in all, a wonderful day on the road.

During our ride we noticed many beautiful old cars with numbers driving along the roads. It turned out that there was a car rally going on. Cars from all over Europe were involved.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A very rare Mercedes Benz was attracting a lot of attention.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
As we were having our lunch in the town square we talked to a couple who were riding recumbent trikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
They were riding matching Stein trikes.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We loved his Sumo wrestler bike horn. He said that with the hot weather he has to make sure that he applies sunscreen to his horn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We had a long visit, talking bikes and bike touring
Heart 0 Comment 0
The poppies have been in full bloom.
Heart 1 Comment 0
After we talked with the trike couple, we met a couple riding a Bike Friday tandem. The town square was crammed with touring bikes and riders enjoying lunch, Italian icecream or seeking out a little shade.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltYay Bike Friday! :)
Reply to this comment
7 months ago
Heart 0 Comment 0
This family appear to be loving their Italian icecream.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Yet, another tandem rode by.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 48 km (30 miles)
Total: 349 km (217 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0