A bike puzzle - what is that noise? - Exploring Germany, Czech Republic and beyond... on our Recumbent Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 1, 2014

A bike puzzle - what is that noise?

While riding with Georg and Cora this week, we have increasingly noticed a loud noise coming from the rear of the bike - and most noticably the chain. It took many heads to figure it out and much time - could the rear tensioner have been bent in transit? is the chain a problem? is it the Rohloff?....after suspending the bike from the ceiling garage and having a house visit by Marcus who maintains our friend's bikes, we finally determined that the Rohloff sprocket was the culprit. It is looking quite worn and will need replacing - the next step is where do we find a Rohloff dealer and who will be available as this is a holiday w/e and most shops are closed on Monday. It has taken a couple of days and many people working on the problem, but we now understand the problem. The good thing is that we know what we are dealing with and now can find a solution.

Justus and Mary Ellen trying to figure out the source of the noise.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two heads are better than one, right?
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marcus made a house visit Sunday evening to see if he could help. He straightened the tensioner (minimally), checked the chain - ok!, frame looks good, the only possibility is the Rohloff sprocket.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marcus offered to take the rear wheel with him to see if he could get the part we needed from his suppliers. If not, he will find a shop to help us. So many people have pitched in to help us with our problem so that we can begin our journey. Thanks to all.
Heart 1 Comment 0
The next morning we visited Marcus in his shop - he tried but had no luck in getting the part - plus he lacked the special Rohloff tool needed. So we are off to the neighbouring village of Elst to a bike shop that deals with Rohloff.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Haus Pacak in Elst - we are very grateful to the owner of this shop as he is closed today (Monday). We had emailed him on the w/e and he agreed to help us out. He installed the new sprocket and we could see how worn out it is.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A small bike shop in Elst - loaded with stock.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The culprit - see the "shark fin" shape of the teeth?
Heart 0 Comment 1
Mike AylingHave you any idea how many kms you rode on that sprocket?

Mike
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
It's a beautiful thing to see a shiny new part on a bicycle - this will get us on the road with a quieter and smoother ride. Tomorrow morning we will hit the road and ride with Cora to Limburg.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0