Day 43 Birchwood WI to Hayward WI - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

July 30, 2023

Day 43 Birchwood WI to Hayward WI

Today we got to stay in bed as breakfast wasn’t going to be ready till 9:00. I have to say it was really hard for us to stay in bed as we are usually up and out early. Mary Lou made a great meal for everyone. It was a bowl of fresh fruit, eggs Benedict, home fries, yogurt, coffee and juice. We sat with Ann and Phil who we had met last night and became instant friends.  Ann and Gary have something in common, the middle finger,🖕 though Ann also has something that is 5 times better, the Eagle 🫱. It was another nice morning to ride and we knew we would be having some rollers but I would say we had the biking trifecta. Uphills, downhills and head wind the whole entire ride. The first route we were on was route F and that was nice as there wasn’t much traffic and we went past a couple of nice lakes. We were riding slowly uphill when we noticed a runner coming towards us. As soon as he was beside us he flipped around and started running back up the hill right next to us. He was very intrigued with what we were doing and after a bit more riding/running I had him stop so I could take his picture. His name is Bob and he lives in Colorado. He was renting a place on the lake with his family. He would like to do a ride like this but his wife wouldn’t be able to. Then he said maybe she could ride an e-bike and he would ride a regular bike. Hopefully they get to do an adventure like that someday. As we went on we came across a tribute to a soldier. We assume it was maybe someone’s son or the husband that lived at the residence. It is so sad to see that someone has had to lose their life so that we can have the freedom we do. May they rest in peace and may we thank each and every military person for what they do for us. Again the hills were restless. We really did not have any flat roads to speak of. When we came up this almost straight up hill, there were train tracks at the top. I had to take a picture as I really miss our rail trails.when we had to turn onto route 27 was when the shoulder was narrow and the traffic was heavy.  Last night Hubs and Mary Lou were talking about places to stay in Hayward and she mentioned Ed the Lumberjack Inn and restaurant. Hubs looked up the reviews and they were really good so he booked us a room. We weren’t sure if we wanted to stay 2 nights as the town was supposed to have lots of shops and I really would like a pedicure. He decided we would book one night and check out the town to see if we wanted to stay 2 nights. As we were riding I noticed the inn on our right and double checked with him to make sure this was the one. Hubs said yes but I did not notice a restaurant and this place did not look like a place that would get those reviews. When we went into register, the woman said no there isn’t a restaurant and that we probably meant the Lumberjack Steak and lodge. So we thought we must be at the wrong place but ohhhhh no, this is the one Hubs booked. We were 2 miles from town. Amanda the office manager changed our room so we could get right in. She told us the room had just been renovated. If this room is supposed to be renovated I would hate to see the room we would have got. We dropped our bags and rode into town. I bought a shirt and we decided to get a beer and who do we run into but Ann and Phil. So we all have a drink and a little something to eat and get to know each other better. It’s almost like fate brought us together as we were so compatible. We then decide to have dinner together and they said they would pick us up. We went to the restaurant that also had the inn we thought we were staying at and the food was very good. They had a huge stuffed bear at the restaurant so we had our pictures taken with it. This is the closest to a real bear that I want to come to. Thanks again Ann and Phil for being the great people you are and who knows we may show up at your door some day. Tomorrow we head to a warm showers in Clam Lake. 🤞🤞🤞we have a tail wind as we think for the whole time we are in WI it will be up hill downhill.

We had breakfast with Ann & Phil
Heart 2 Comment 0
Our delicious breakfast at the B&B. Mary Lou did a great job for us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is Bob. He was running towards us as we were slugging up the hill and then he flipped around and ran back up the hill along side of us.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Lake picture
Heart 1 Comment 0
The huge bear at the restaurant we had dinner
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hubs actually wanted to be in the picture also. Look closely and you will see it.
Heart 2 Comment 1
This is Ann & Phil. Wonderful people we met at the B&B. If we could get all the great people we met to live near each other we would be an Awesome Neighborhood
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 29 miles (47 km)
Total: 1,914 miles (3,080 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Phil/Ann DettwilerAnn and Phil have signed up now and will follow your blog -- we thought of you several times today and we wondered 'where you might be', so this will allow us to keep track of you. It looks like the weather will be good for you throughout this week so your riding should be good -- sorry about the climbs; that's the story of much of Wisconsin. Know we feel we found kindred spirits when we ran into you two.....you are always welcome at our house: the Eagle will be ready: five times more powerful than the bird, you know. :-)
Reply to this comment
8 months ago
Lois AlexanderTo Phil/Ann DettwilerNice. This will be a way to keep in touch. We keep telling people how quickly we had this great connection and have passed along the”Eagle” to other people. It sure is something that makes people laugh. 😊
Reply to this comment
8 months ago