Day 41 Shafer MN to Turtle Lake WI - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

July 28, 2023

Day 41 Shafer MN to Turtle Lake WI

We hit another milestone.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Entering our 6th state. I think we have over 500 miles before we are out of Wisconsin
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water tower in Osceola WI
Heart 1 Comment 0
As we first got on the trail we encountered a down branch. We just pushed right through it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Water tower in Amery WI
Heart 0 Comment 0
Me biking the trail
Heart 0 Comment 1
Edward GriecoYou sure Gary didn’t give you the bike with 90 lbs of carrying weight? 😊
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
This is Steve and Joann. Very friendly couple.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Paul, Gary said I needed to take this picture just for you. 🥰
Heart 2 Comment 0
Got to see more of my girls. So happy
Heart 1 Comment 0
We stopped for a break and needed a selfie.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Water tower in Clayton WI
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water tower in Turtle Lake where we are staying for the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was 67° when we got up this morning so we started with light biking jackets. We said good bye to Tom and off we went. He had told us about a bike trail that we could take. He said it was made up of lime stone and we were hoping it would be ok after the thunderstorm last night. We had to do 10 miles on the road before we got to the trail.We also left Minnesota and entered Wisconsin. Another state checked off the list. We tried to stop for something to eat in Osceola but the only cafe in town doesn’t open until 9:00 am. I guess everyone in that town has to drink their coffee at home. We did stop to pick up sandwiches so we could just eat on the road. When we got to the trail there was a branch down right from the beginning but that was the only one on the whole trail. It turned out the trail was pretty good. Seeing it isn’t paved, we can’t go as fast as if it was paved but we had shade and no hills. We went 11 miles and came into Amery WI. We saw a place with tables under a pavilion and seeing it was lunch time we stopped. We met another couple who were taking a break also. They live in Minnesota and are visiting friends in Wisconsin. Their names are Steve and Joann. Steve used to be a biker and is getting back into it. His bike is actually in the shop getting a tuneup and new pedals. It was fun talking to them.  The trail we were on ended and we would be picking up another trail right in town. After lunch we headed out on this new trail that was all stones. It was horrible. We went about 1/2 mile and my bike fell. Luckily I didn’t go down but that is when we decided to go back and ride on the roads. It would add 3 more miles and have hills but would be easier than that trail we zwere on. We got to see more of my girls and it was nice as I haven’t seen any in quite awhile. We stopped for a break and I said we needed a selfie. Hubs said I could take it this time and I don’t think I did bad. 🥰 We made it to Turtle Lake and are staying at a motel. They have a hot tub and it was a good one and so relaxing. Tomorrow we head to Birchwood WI and will be staying at a cozy B&B.

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 1,993 miles (3,207 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0