Day 39 Monticello MN to Minneapolis MN - 2 Biking Hobos - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2023

Day 39 Monticello MN to Minneapolis MN

Last night we had thunderstorms all night. When I woke up at 5:30 this morning they were still going on. WeatherBug said they should be gone by 7:00 am and they were. We left about 7:20 am. The bike trail we were on was really nice and the weather was getting warmer pretty quick. We haven’t seen any Casey’s and Hubs is bummed about that but at one point he did shout out “Dunkin’ Donuts” so we stopped there to get a bite. We eventually came to the Mississippi River but we weren’t quite sure if it was the Mississippi or not so when we saw these 4 ladies walking we stopped to ask. They said it was and we started talking about our trip. They were so inspired. Right before we left one of the ladies asked if she could say a prayer for us and she said a really nice one. The GPS at one point had us going through some really beautiful neighborhoods along the river. The houses were big and gorgeous. As we made a turn to go back to the main road, a guy on his bike rode up to us. He started talking to Hubs and I thought I heard him say he does tours, meaning he does it for a living but what he meant was he himself bikes long distances. He and a friend did a ride From Charleston SC to Key West FL this past spring. It was nice talking to him. We thought we would be coming to towns that would have restaurants but the trail was not taking us that way. We stopped at a little park area to have our chocolate and a truck pulled in. It looked like a grandpa, grandma and their grandson. They took their 3 e-bikes out of the back of the truck and then grandpa went into the back seat to get helmets or though we thought. Nope, he comes out with one helmet for the grandson who looked about 12-13 years old. Hello! Grandpa, don’t you think your head and grandmas head deserves to be protected too?? We really don’t understand it. Well, we finally got into Minneapolis and found a place for lunch. 2 sandwiches and 2 drinks, $44.oo. Unbelievable! They automatically add a surcharge of 20% on the bill. We found our warm showers and actually went to the wrong house. So here we are looking for the key as the owners are not here right now. They are at a birthday party for his sister. I hope they didn’t have cameras outside as we would have looked stupid trying to explain. It was the house next door we needed to go to. After we settled in we took showers and I did laundry. Then we walked to the brewery so Hubs could get his daily fix of IPA. After that we went to dinner. As we were walking home, I checked the weather and at 6:30 pm it was 91° and felt like 97°. Boy it is going to be hot sleeping tonight. ☹️. Tomorrow we head to another warm showers in Shafer MN. When our warm showers hosts got home we went downstairs to meet them. They are a young couple named Ross and Paxton who also had a great biking adventure when they got out of college in 2017. They started their bike trip in South America and had to end it in Thailand as that is when Covid hit. They are hoping to get out there and bike again and we told them they should now while they can. Good luck to them.

Had to get a picture of this beautiful church
Heart 2 Comment 0
This was our route today besides the MRT
Heart 1 Comment 0
The Mighty Mississippi River
Heart 1 Comment 0
These are the 4 ladies we chatted with. The one in the back said a beautiful prayer for us to keep us safe in our travels. Thank you
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is Eric. He did a bike journey to Key West from Charleston SC this past spring. Love hearing and seeing over people getting out there and doing it.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Always time for a chocolate break.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Following the trail
Heart 0 Comment 0
I thought this looked like an old ski lift even though it is a high tension wire holder
Heart 1 Comment 0
This looked like a mini Zakem bridge in Boston
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hubs getting a text on the bridge
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our lunch today. Good thing it was good for the price we paid!
Heart 1 Comment 1
Edward Grieco20% Surcharge it better be good , Hope you enjoyed it ,
Reply to this comment
9 months ago
Another church in Minneapolis we passed by on our way to the brewer
Heart 0 Comment 0
The different beers in the Dangerous Man brewery
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today's ride: 43 miles (69 km)
Total: 2,083 miles (3,352 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0