Day 4 - Cajarc to Cahors - Tour des Deux Vallees - Tandem Tour - September 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 27, 2019

Day 4 - Cajarc to Cahors

Heart 0 Comment 0

I have to say up front that this was one of the nicest days of bike riding I have had in my life. The combination of roads, weather, views, and companion was perfect. It could not have been better!

We had breakfast in the fairly busy hotel, then hit the road. Right away the views down the valley were fantastic. We were on a road on the side of the river valley, looking down the valley to the west.

The Lot river just below Cajarc
Heart 2 Comment 0

We coasted back down to the river, crossed it, and found another beautiful road that led us right underneath Cenevieres castle.

Cenevieres castle
Heart 1 Comment 0

We decided not to climb up to the castle, so continued onward and eventually started the climb into St-Cirq-Lapopie. What a gorgeous village! Again, I could post bunches of pictures, but I'll confine myself to just one.

Saint-Cirq-Lapopie
Heart 1 Comment 0

We savored the village and old stones and eventually arrived at the top of the climb. From there, we had a delightful downhill to Bouzies, where we crossed the river again on a single-lane bridge. The traffic was almost non-existent.

No cars - no problem!
Heart 0 Comment 0

From here, we were on a more major road for a while. I turned on the taillight but we really didn't need it. There was very little traffic and the French drivers gave us their normal courtesy. Most pull completely into the opposing lane to pass cyclists. A truly civilized country.

Did I mention how cool the road was? It was carved into the river walls in places.

(Small) tunnel ahead!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We eventually returned to small roads, one of which climbed up again high above the river.

Back up on top again
Heart 1 Comment 0

After the long day, we were getting tired. A few well-timed breaks got us into Cahors, where we walked through the busy city streets to our hotel "Brit Hotel Cahors". Once more the friendly hostess helped us park our bike in a garage and we were soon in our room relaxing.

We went out to investigate the old town of Cahors and basically fell in love with it. Luckily we had scheduled a rest day for tomorrow, so we contented ourselves with some light sightseeing and dinner at "Le Lamparo". Then to sleep.

Today's ride: 58 km (36 miles)
Total: 197 km (122 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Scott AndersonWhen you return to this road you should stop at Bouzies or St-Cirq-Lapopie and explore the riverside tow path between the two villages. Really exceptional.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago