Day 3 - Najac to Cajarc - Tour des Deux Vallees - Tandem Tour - September 2019 - CycleBlaze

September 26, 2019

Day 3 - Najac to Cajarc

Heart 0 Comment 0

This day was (on paper) the hardest day of the tour. We had to climb up from the Aveyron river onto the "causse" and then go up and down all day before descending to Cajarc on the Lot river.

The fun started 100 meters from the hotel. While we can climb reasonable slopes on the loaded tandem, this one wasn't reasonable. After about 1.5k, we started walking.

The views were lovely, though.

Ho Hum - just another un-named castle somewhere in France.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Robin spotted a peach tree that seemed untended and stole a couple of peaches that were laying on the ground just off the road. Peaches in September? Whatever - they were perfect and perfectly ripe.

The views were great back down the valley to Najac.

Najac from up the hill on the D39
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once we got up onto the causse, we ate our peaches along the side of the road. Maybe 2 cars went by while we were eating, plus a large semi-truck. The young truck driver actually stopped in the middle of the road to ask us questions about the tandem! Pretty quiet out there.

From this point, it was up and down all day. We played tag for a while with a friendly (bored) border collie, and eventually got to the Abbaye de Loc Dieu for a second lunch. The abbey buildings aren't open this late in the year, but the park is open for a 2 euro fee. We dropped our 4 euros into a box at the entrance and sat on a park bench enjoying the sunshine and beautiful abbey buildings.

Not a bad place for lunch!
Heart 2 Comment 0

Back on the road, we blew through the village of Martiel, where the only apparent business (a tabac) was closed. Then up onto the last set of hills of the day.

After repairing a small issue with our rear rack (a bolt had loosened and fallen out somewhere), we screamed down a terrifying descent into the Lot river valley. We immediately stumbled onto this castle - seemingly private because there were no signs around.

Just another random castle...
Heart 1 Comment 0

Then we had a quick ride across the Lot on a pretty scary bridge into Cajarc.

Thank goodness for wide tires!
Heart 0 Comment 0

The very-modern-but-maybe-modern-retro "Cajarc Blue Hotel" was waiting for us. The friendly and efficient hostess helped us store the bike under the hotel, and we cleaned up for an exploration of Cajarc, along with a trip to the local Gamme Vert to replace our wayward bolt.

Bolt replacement found, we nosed around the old town of Cajarc, which is our kind of place (old).

That's old!
Heart 2 Comment 0

We found the brasserie "Le President" and had a drink. Robin inspected the menu and decided that this was the place for dinner. And so it was - we had a great meal, followed by a short walk to the hotel. And then sleep. The hardest day was done.

Today's ride: 42 km (26 miles)
Total: 139 km (86 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0