What it Cost - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

June 28, 2018

What it Cost

Most people, we suspect, have to pay attention to what a cycle tour is going to cost. It will control the length of the tour in days, and determine what kind of luxuries and necessities can be enjoyed along the way.  

For us the switch from camping to hotel/B&B has been a critical factor, as has been the changing exchange rate for the Euro. There is also the fact that restaurant meals in France are extremely costly, while supermarket foods are more reasonable.  All French costs are probably higher than what they would be in Germany, but we have not verified that on this basically France only tour.

The bottom line - over 89 days out on the road we managed to spend about 9700 euros. That does not include return air fare, which will vary from nothing, if you live in France, to a whole lot if you are from far off. How much is 9700 euros? If you are in the US, that's about $11,400 right now.  If you had bought and stored your euros in advance, as we did last March, then the cost would be $12,200.  The euro/dollar exchange can easily vary 7 percentage points over a few months.

We were smart and bought our euros in advance - not so smart!
Heart 0 Comment 0

And if you happen to be a Canadian, that cost in March was about $15,800. To put that in perspective, for this kind of money you can buy any of a half dozen brand new cars. How about a 2018 Nissan Versa Note instead of a goofy bike tour? It a stupid question, of course. Who wants a car anyway!

Looking at the cost breakdown, the shocking fact is that 65% was in accommodation. This is a bit exaggerated, because many places included breakfast, so part of the accommodation was actually food. And to the extent that we could carry some of that breakfast along with us, the accommodation cost was further reducing the food category. 

Even with food getting "mixed in" there a bit, we saw that the average cost of a night's stay was 72 euros. I remember in the"old days", Trish Graham writing that one could figure on 50 euros a night. Times have changed! Obviously, camping would be cheaper. We have been out of camping for a few years now, and can not say just how much cheaper. I'll make a wild guess at 30 euros per night for camping, maybe cheaper for a municipal site. People who really know - what do you think of my guess?

At 30 euros and obviously no breakfast included, even camping is not exactly cheap, unless one resorts all the way back to wild camping.

We compensated for the high cost of accommodation by staying out of restaurants as much as possible. Even so, there was at least one time that we dropped about 90 euros in one, and those 14 euro lunch specials can be awfully tempting if you are tired and hungry. Even so, our food cost was just 25 euros per day on average. That's three meals for two people, plus stopping at (almost) every bakery on the route. It's a tribute to Dodie's shopping, which requires keeping me out with the bikes rather than in the grocery with the food!

Heart 0 Comment 0

One economy measure that we did this time was to limit purchases of souvenirs, including sadly, stuff to bring back or mail back  for the family. Even so, we managed to spend over 300 euros on postage (and postcards). The main expense was in four mailbacks, including gear we decided we did not need (some of which we had to re-buy!) and maps and pamphlets that somehow we had to add to the huge collection we already have at home. The mailbacks totalled 22 pounds!

In the pie chart, the 3% for "Transport" is for getting from Paris to Apeldoorn at the start plus for ferries across rivers. This time round we used no trains during the actual ride.

In the "misc" category is a certain amount of bike servicing, like new chains. Over 6000 km Dodie managed to wear out two chains, while I did one. But generally the bikes were wonderful and had no breakdowns. No broken spokes, no flats!

Was it all worth it? Well duh!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 8
Mike AylingAt one point in my career I was head bean counter in a manufacturing organisation and we always took forward exchange contracts for our inventory imports to give us some certainty over our future costs. Sometimes we were in front other times we were not.
You did the same and lost a bit. No big deal.
You will still have all your well documented memories long after a new motor car has been towed to the wreckers!
Carry on with spending the kids inheritance!
Mike
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Mike AylingThanks Mike. There was one advantage to buying the exchange in advance, and that was the chance to buy it with minimized service charges.This may vary depending on your credit card, but if you just walk up to an ATM in Europe with a North American card, or if you put your card down for a purchase, the card may not give you the best current exchange rate, and it may slather on an additional service charge for doing the foreign transaction. On the other hand, the Paris based account where we stash our euros once obtained has its own outrageous annual fee.

One other thing to take into consideration when looking at the cost of a cycle tour is that while you are away you are not buying food, etc. at home.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonI agree, the price of hotels has skyrocketed. I think you did pretty well with an average of 72€. We are still trying to get used to the "new" prices. In Germany it isn't as easy to find small hotels or "zimmer" any more. We used to just stop at the end of the day and start looking for a hotel - that doesn't work now. We plan our route based on where we can find accommodation. We, too, no longer camp.
I just checked our six days on the Romantic Road and found we averaged 77€ a night including breakfast. If breakfast wasn't included, I added the cost of breakfast to the hotel price. When planning our stops, I made a point of finding the less expensive hotels. We could have easily spent a lot more.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonWe don’t keep to a budget or track expenses, but you might try Albania or Greece next. I’m pretty sure we could have averaged 30 euros/night for a room and breakfast, if that was our goal.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Suzanne GibsonThe one that really rots my socks is 2.50+ per boule for ice cream. Is the price still around 1 -1.20 per kugel in Germany?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Suzanne GibsonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesIt's 1.20 to 1.50 these days. I guess we can live with that.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Janet Anspach-RickeyA supported tour would cost that much for one week. You two did great. I bet you spend close to that at home doing home projects and local shopping/trips or at least a percentage of it that should be taken into account since you were gone for months instead of a short trip.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Janet Anspach-RickeyYou are quite right. Since we have been home we have invented myriad ways to spend money. A lot has been repairing stuff that we wouldn't care about if we were not here - cars, hot tubs, pools, mowers, tractors...
Reply to this comment
4 years ago