The Kick Off - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

March 20, 2018

The Kick Off

Sometimes we can start a cycle trip just by pedaling out of our driveway.  There is something satisfying about that. At least there is no period of anticipation or anxiety or travel hassle before the show is truly "on the road".  This time it's a little different. We are leaving without even any bikes in hand. We'll be buying those in Netherlands.

So it's a slow start that kind of has some built in micro vacations before we get going. We started with a good  breakfast down at Marvin and Erika Paxman's in Saanich, which is close to the ferry terminal. We will meet up with the Paxmans again in three months, in Amsterdam. It will be the end of our trip, but the beginning of theirs. But for now it was Montreal style bagels, yogurt, fruit, and three kinds of jam.  Hopefully this was only the first of many "multi-jammer" breakfasts to come.  It was also a chance to natter about cycling topics. We seemed to choose some "controversial" ones, like breathable vs. truly waterproof rain jackets and torque sensing vs. cadence sensing on e-assist bicycles. 

There could have been lots more topics, even more bagels, but we got Marvin to run us over to the ferry in good time.

The ferry would only take us to Vancouver, and our plane only leaves from there tomorrow morning.  As we have on many trips before we looked out the ferry window and watched Vancouver Island receding. Since we love our home we always slightly regret leaving. But soon enough we'll be right into it, and the Island will wait for us to get back.

Ferries pass close by each other in "Active Pass" off Vancouver Island
Heart 2 Comment 0

Helping with any separation anxiety is the Accent Inn, an ordinary motel near the Vancouver airport.  It's ordinary, but we have come to appreciate the large rooms, comfy beds with five pillows each, and the tub!

The Accent Inn is a pleasant stop. A 10 pillow micro vacation!
Heart 0 Comment 0

One problem about separation can be the food. (it's hard to leave the Paxman's kitchen behind!).  Of course, once we hit Montreal, Paris, and the rest it will be great. But Vancouver near the airport?

Across the street is McDonald's, a place we normally carefully avoid. But travel is for risk and adventure, so we gave it a try. Surprisingly after the "Montreal" breakfast bagels we found McDonald's offering "Montreal" steak burgers. The basis of this was Montreal steak spice, which is a legitimate specialty found at the Montreal Hebrew Delicatessen. The McDonald's version was  ... not bad! 

Not quite in Montreal yet.
Heart 0 Comment 0

So now slowly, glacially, we are easing in to at least the Montreal experience coming up.  We hope you stay with us as this trip slowly by slowly ramps up!

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Marvin PaxmanHere is a link to that 4 jam breakfast:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JcL40XWqryvZIGjm2

The 4 jams were mesquite, plum, raspberry and marmalade. Maybe marmalade doesn't count as jam? :)
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Marvin PaxmanYes, I'm sure marmalade officially "counts". But the photo shows that the marmalade was not directly under my nose meaning that in typically unobservant fashion I missed it. Also while demanding multi jam presentations in principle I will always be overwhelmed by the presence of raspberry.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago