The Bagel Imperative - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

March 25, 2018

The Bagel Imperative

It was well below zero at 7 this morning in Montreal, but the pleasure of bike riding to a bakery  (barely) overcame the prospect of frozen hands. On a cold Montreal morning, that bakery has to be St. Viateur bagel bakery. There are years and years of tradition in traversing snowy streets for hot bagels.

So I jumped on Joshua's bike, glad that the snowy part of the tradition applied today only to the back yard and not the road. Early on a Sunday morning the roads in the centre of this big city are completely empty. It's almost eerie. But of course I knew the bagel bakery would be open.  The main store never closes,  but the Mont Royal branch opens at 6. Early enough for me!

My route takes me on bikeways that were introduced in the city at least fifteen years ago now. My favourite is on Rachel Street, where  the bikes have physical separation from the cars. This also passes by Maison des Cyclistes, headquarters of the group instrumental in developing Quebec's cycling network.  A right turn there leads past the interestingly named Mr. Pinchot bakery. But baguette is not on the menu today and Mr. Pinchot is ignored. So is Co-Pains d'Abord. Only bagels will do.

The Rachel Street bikeway
Heart 1 Comment 0
Not today, thanks
Heart 0 Comment 0

Despite this single minded bagel imperative, I do notice for the 1000th time the iconic, basically ugly - maybe beautiful,  brick and stone buildings of Montreal's "Plateau" district. These have their staircases on the outside, and of course no front yards of any size. This is the world of Mordecai Richler, and of course, my own parents and grandparents.

Classic houses of "Le Plateau"
Heart 4 Comment 0

Along Mont Royal street I notice some shops that seem new - like a Greek BBQ near Papineau Street. And of course the old standards, like the candy shop.

Old time candy shop
Heart 2 Comment 0

At the bakery, my request is for two dozen sesame. Real bagels only come in Sesame and Poppy, and maybe Plain. New fangled things like Cinnamon are just not on. I struggle with the word "sesame". The French say it as in English but they do not pronounce the final "e". My tongue just always wants to say "sesamee".

Wood oven bagels
Heart 1 Comment 0

Back home, hungry children are waiting for bagels. But they are not too hungry to also demand eggs and cheese with that.  It's normal, because that is how they always get it. But today we do not want to mess up the kitchen. Things are set up for Joe's 4th birthday party.

Hungry children
Heart 0 Comment 0
What it's all about. One bagel has already suffered some nibbling on the road.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Part of that set up is a product of our own terrific home bakery. Sabrina has produced another of her great animated cakes:

Heart 1 Comment 4
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakAh yes, but everybody's a critic. One pundit pointed out that the boat lacks not only lifeboats but also oars. With this equipment missing, how are you supposed to row to the island to bury your treasure?
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Laurie MarczakSwim? At night...through eel infested waters...
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakCertainly it was this type of prospect that caused so much discussion the night before the party. The Caribbean blue waters do look inviting though!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago

Joshua is taking credit for having suggested the cannon ports and the figurehead up front. But  his demand for lifeboats was firmly rejected.  I think the pirate way is too risky to be having lifeboats.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0