Stage Ten: Atlantic Coast South (Velodysee, Velo Francette) 300 km - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

May 11, 2018

Stage Ten: Atlantic Coast South (Velodysee, Velo Francette) 300 km

This stage is a combination of somewhere we have been before (Royan to La Rochelle) and untried territory (La Rochelle to Saumur).  As we recall Royan to La Rochelle it was ok, but did not blow our socks off.  Quickly checking one of our previous blogs, I noticed for example, some whining about a lack of ice cream.  Even then that would not have been (or should not have been) a major point. And hey, maybe this time we will find all sorts of ice cream!

La Rochelle is a major point of interest  on the route, having been the most significant port on the French Atlantic coast  prior to the 17th century. There is a link to Canada in this, as La Rochelle was heavily involved in trade with New France.  We were surprised to learn, however, that Samuel de Champlain, the founder of New  France (Quebec) departed not from La Rochelle, but rather from Honfleur, way up north in Normandy.

As for the approximately 175 km from La Rochelle up to the Loire at Saumur, we have no idea what we will find.  Our only indication comes from the very brief comment of our friends the  Nicholsons, from Kamloops, who said "Yeah, it's ok".  The route does at least have the moniker "Velo Francette".   After the Loire it carries on all the way north to the Normandy landing beaches, making it inherently interesting.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0