Stage One: Netherlands - Apeldoorn to the Rhine at Remagen 325 km - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

March 31, 2018

Stage One: Netherlands - Apeldoorn to the Rhine at Remagen 325 km

We went to Apeldoorn so we could buy bikes from  the Profile Janssen bike shop there.  Now we will pedal south 325  km in Netherlands and Germany, eventually to rejoin the Rhine.  The route follows the Maas (Meuse) river to Maastricht, before hopping into Germany and through Aachen to reach the Rhine.

The Maas begins in France, where it is known as the Meuse, and it runs for 925 km.  We have seen it before, at places like Verdun in France  and Namur in Belgium, but we have never been on its lower sections, like Maastricht to Nijmegen (or the reverse).  We are planning to cycle the section not for anything great we know about it, but just because it is in Netherlands. Just on the strength of that, we expect the cycle path to be good!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
alan bairdHi Steve & Dodie,
Glad to see that yo are all set for the off. The bikes look up to the task. We were wondering if you would have any problems getting the bike battery on the plane for your return journey? Just thinking of the future for ourselves. Hope you have a great trip,will be following.
Alan & Wendy.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo alan bairdYes, there is no way to get the battery on a plane. Tricia Graham managed to ship hers to Australia, the cost exceeded the battery's (significant) value. We decided to throw extra money at the problem by buying these bikes, which we intend to leave in Europe. But for you it would be more like how to get a bike like this going in some other continent. Difficult.

One kind of solution we are looking at is the "LiGo" battery sold by Grin Technologies in Vancouver. These are 98wH, which is under the 100 wH limit for going on a plane. If you buy 4 or 5 you can then plug them together to form a proper sized unit. One problem though is that Bosch, Shimano, etc. motors have proprietary batteries as part of their systems. So to use LiGo you need to DIY a generic setup - which is looking to me to be messy in terms of cables all over, and lacking in range. Still, we will be experimenting with it for Dodie's Bike Friday, which has had its frame rebuilt after last year's crash. Bike Friday in Eugene, by the way, has indeed already created a LiGo solution and offers to retrofit it to existing bikes.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago