Day 75: Fecamp to Dieppe - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

June 9, 2018

Day 75: Fecamp to Dieppe

Our B&B outside Fecamp had the great advantage of being right on our route. And since it was a B&B rather than a hotel, our bikes were more or less right outside and ready to load and go. Breakfast consisted of basically baguette and jam, and much as we love baguette we are finding it increasingly difficult to have it as such a main part of our diet.

Jacques, our host, came out to see us off so I was able to snap a photo. Without these photos we would never remember all the people who have been so kind to us in their homes on this trip.

Chambre d'hote "Entre Terre et Mer", east of Fecamp.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jacques discusses the route ahead.
Heart 0 Comment 0

It was not only that the B&B was close to our route, but that route at this point was on the Veloroute du Lin. When we came down the hill and turned onto the Veloroute, it felt like we were on an expressway. 

The Veloroute du Lin is brand new. In fact it is scheduled for completion "Summer 2018" and we did find lots of work to be done. But still it was fine, more than fine. It's a rail trail, 70 km long, running from Fecamp to Dieppe. The paving is new and smooth as can be, but it has other very pleasing attributes. It seems logical and what else would you expect, but all the design elements are consistent right the way along. I am talking about the blue crosswalk paint, the design of the crosswalk barriers - all in lovely cedar, the signage, the painting of upcoming town names and distances on the asphalt, the periodic all cedar rest areas with tables and garbage, etc.  To be sure, there turned out to be several quite long stretches where the trail has yet to be developed. But for these, excellent signage put us on very small and quiet roads that in some cases were just as good as the trail itself would be. And sure enough, 70 kms later we were delivered to Pourville, just beside Dieppe, where the Veloroute du Lin intersects with the older, hillier, coast route. 

Welcome to the Veloroute du Lin. This is not the actual beginning, just some bits along the way. The flowers are not official but were from the adjacent house. Dodie is complimenting the home owner.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Family sized trailside rest furniture
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical rest area
Heart 3 Comment 0
There is some small effort to provide trailside nature information.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Map of what's coming
Heart 0 Comment 0

True to its name, the Veloroute du Lin took us through many fields of crops, lots of which was Lin - flax. The flax at this stage of development is bright green, and very pleasant to ride beside. Other main crops are oats and corn, all of which together with the ocean mist made this a great visual ride.

"Lin" in the mist
Heart 1 Comment 0
Oats on one side, flax on the other
Heart 2 Comment 0

Of course it is not just the colour of crops that catches our attention, there is, as  always, cows and buildings. Today we saw small groups mainly of Normande cows which are the loveliest, but also caramel ones, black and white, all white, and even red. With buildings, we continued to see a lot of flint in the walls, plus very decorative use of brick. Thatched roofs are making more of and appearance, as are half timbers. There are some with exposed vertical timbers, which we have not seen before. Thatched roof - half timber is an iconic Norman style that we could probably find on postcards.

Heart 3 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
How's this for decorative brick!
Heart 2 Comment 0
Vertical timbers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Decorative brick AND vertical timbers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Thatch and brick!
Heart 3 Comment 0

Dieppe, our destination for today, is famous for the 1942 mostly Canadian raid that ended in disaster. On the other hand, Dunkirk, 200 km north, is the place where mostly British troups evacuated the continent June 4, 1940. The Germans had trapped the British in that northern corner by charging through to the Somme, at Abbeville.

Heart 0 Comment 0

These facts are good to have in mind to appreciate what happened next with us. We were cycling along from from Drosay. Drosay is a town inland from St Valerie en Caux. Stay with me now. Here are these towns on a map:

Heart 0 Comment 0

Drosay is 10 km from the coast. We were surprised to see a golf course there, with one man playing golf. As we approached he happened to leave the course and cross the road near us. We stopped to talk, and he pointed out a large rock nearby that had been carved. It was a memorial of something that happened on June 11 and 12, 1940. That is, a week after the evacuation of the armies trapped north of the Somme, at Dunkirk.

This involved a number, not sure how many, of the Scottish Black Watch. Trapped and unable to go to either Dunkirk or Le Havre, they tried to fight their way back into St Valerie. St Valerie is a tiny port stuck between high chalk cliffs. In this struggle, the Black Watch was assisted by a French unit - the 12th Chasseurs -(Cavalry). The French tried to get the Black Watch out, but they themselves would not be leaving.

As it happened, fog in the Channel prevented an evacuation on the night of the 11th (we know about that fog too!). After considering their own potential fight to the death, the Black Watch surrendered on the 12th. That was the same day that France surrendered.

There is a (rather hard to follow) eye witness account here. Here is the Black Watch commander with Rommel, the German general, at St Valerie. All this happened exactly where we were standing, and also 10 kms away. 

Rommel and the Black Watch commander (Major General Fortune) at Ste Valerie en Chaux
Heart 0 Comment 0
The memorial near Dorsay. The carved horse is because the 12th Chasseurs were nominally cavalry.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Black watch graves at Dorsay - note heather.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Black Watch
Heart 0 Comment 0

Inside the church at Dorsay we found the now familiar barrel vault ceiling. Also, in the stained glass, added to the usual heroic and mythical representations there was a world war related panel. Fair enough. What seems more or less current to us now will soon enough be ancient history.

Barrel vaulted ceiling
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

The veloroute took us not directly to Dieppe, but to a valley and beach just to the west, at Pourville. The terrain here has a number of valleys at right angles to the water, with rivers  presumably in them. At Pourville its the Scie.

Pourville also has WWII history to it. In the Spring of 1942, operation "Jubilee" was mounted, to try to get a foothold for the British/Canadians back on the continent. The attack was like the one that followed in 1944, with thrusts on multiple beaches. In this case the beaches had colour names, and Pourville was "Green Beach". The other seven locations were both west and east of Green. To the west, two - White and Red - were frontal assaults on Dieppe.

Pourville, like the other beaches, was a disaster. It's in a narrow valley and the Germans controlled the hills above. We climbed out of that hole ourselves today. No one shot at us, but we did have to contend with cuckoos on the narrow road. We watched some of the nearer near misses as they attempted to zoom around us on blind corners.

Looking down into Pourville beach.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At the hill above Pourville we were also at a point from which Monet had done at least one painting. Here it is:

Monet's "Chemin dans les bles a Pourville"
Heart 0 Comment 0

We continued climbing over the ridge and descended into Dieppe, following the "Avenue des Canadiens". While still at some height we got a peek down and it seemed like we were looking at another Le Havre. Oh, oh. We reached our hotel the "Egg Hotel" easily and directly - nothing like Le Havre. Our bikes went to their room and we went to ours, and the day could have ended there. But I thought I should go out for a peek and see if this truly was Le Havre or not. Leaving Dodie to nurse her knees (actually, just to put up with them) I zoomed out and was quickly surprised to find interesting buildings, a cafe scene, a lovely harbour, and a cathedral. Not Le Havre at all. Hooray. Tomorrow on the bikes, Dodie will see it too.  For now, both she and any readers can have a look through my camera:

This cafe was my first hint that Dieppe might be interesting
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking down a side street
Heart 0 Comment 0
Finding the cathedral
Heart 2 Comment 0
The harbour
Heart 1 Comment 0
Church on a hill above the harbour. No doubt we will have to climb there.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Bonus: Wild Strawberries

Flying along at 13 kph Dodie, Dodie spotted a patch of wild strawberries! This was a big patch, with more wild berries than we almost have ever seen in one place.  I sat in the middle and ate them like a bear. Dodie, I assume, was more dainty.

Heart 3 Comment 2
Laurie MarczakThose look incredible. I wouldn’t have been able to leave until all the ripe ones were gone!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Laurie MarczakWe really tried our best, but time was short and berries were many.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

Today's ride: 80 km (50 miles)
Total: 4,951 km (3,075 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Tricia GrahamLike you two we stayed at the Egg hotel I had been a bit concerned about it but we found although basic it worked so well very cheap, a good sized basic room, close to the lovely downtown, good bike storage and a wonderful receptionist who gave us perfect directions to get on the London Paris cycle route. (much better than the TI did) Often we find when touring we want a hotel which is functional not cute or atmospheric where we can just get on with our own things
Keep safe
Tricia
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Tricia GrahamYes, we like the bike storage room and the receptionist too. Also the desk, which is great for blogging. The room is actually bigger than some. Last night we found we had no room to put two of our four pannier bags down! Fortunately we were the only ones in residence and we put them in the hall!

As I wrote, I was surprised to find the downtown intact!

We have been trying to read your blog a bit to see what is coming. But now, though we could get on the London-Paris for a bit, it seems best to continue up the coast until turning at the Somme and heading for Amiens.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago