Cobble Hill - British Columbia - Grampies Tour de France Spring 2018 - CycleBlaze

June 25, 2018

Cobble Hill - British Columbia

Back in 1971 John Denver had a song called the "Readjustment Blues". The title just popped into my head, though Amsterdam to Cobble Hill is nowhere near as significant as John Denver's topic, which was returning from the Vietnam war. Even so, things here seem so strange to me. The houses here are made of wood, not stone. Weird. The trees seem wilder, and certainly the weeds are wilder. They just haven't felt the effects of centuries of patient control Instead, they think they own the place - because they do! Then there are the pickup trucks everywhere, and no bike lanes. What kind of place is this??

I know that in a few days the strangeness will wear off. Ultimately, this is my native land and culture, and source of strength for the long term. But I also know that as soon as I get used to it here again it will be time for itching to start another bike trip. It's a "cycle" that we have lived for the past eight years!

After a hard night of knee pain, we got Dodie in to see the doctor. Cortisone and ibuprophen hopefully will provide some short term relief. We also contacted the orthopedic surgeon. A date for the knee replacement is set - for August. Paradoxically, when Dodie's name went on the waiting list ( a year ago) it was for the left knee. Now the right is the worst one, so it may be first up. 

Marvin and Erika are now well under way, as they begin the project of cycling from Netherlands to Austria, carrying on with our bikes where we left off. I really enjoyed reading  their blog for the day we all cycled together in the vicinity of Edam. Their photos put me right back there, and for a rare occasion I could actually see myself in the "picture". Marvin and Erika can be followed here on Cycleblaze. Click here, to find their index page.

It is not quite time to close off this blog. We want to revisit the various stages and decide which were really the best, and to see if that matches what our expectations had been. We want to describe and evaluate the experience of our first e-assisted ride. Finally, we will cook up some figures on how much all the fun cost - to help others save for  and enjoy a similar expedition. Stay tuned...

Back home in the "jungle". Our two vehicles may look European, but it's an illusion and even they have to go out daily and battle pickup trucks.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 4
Michel FleuranceNo bear ?

Best wishes for Dodie left and right knees.

Very interesting articles on e-bikes. I understood from Franz H that he is writing technical articles for a northern e-bike manufacturer on a yearly basis. Franz is also stuck home by now ...
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Michel FleuranceAny bears would be behind the house, because there is too much VW traffic in front. The likelihood of bears is reduced because as you can see in the photo, the trees are mostly gone from behind. A Dutch farmer bought the land, cleared the forest, and filled the area with cows or hay. There is only a limited wild area here any more, along a creek that runs from our farm to the beach at Cherry Point. But that creek is just a narrow corridor though more farmland. You can see the corridor if you look at our place on Google Maps with satellite view.

Stay tuned for more on e-bikes in this blog, coming today or tomorrow.



Dodie's knee is a tiny bit better this morning, with the ibuprofen. The drug has a hard time working because, strangely for a nurse, she does not believe in it.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ardell SiegelHello from Texas...Thank you once again for writing such an educational and entertaining blog. I always enjoy the Grampies!! Sending sympathy for Dodie and the knee situation. Headed out myself in a couple of days with my ebike for two weeks of trail riding in Iowa and Wisconsin with a group I have traveled with before. You guys are inspiring and my heroes😊
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesArdell, you are one of our heroes. As is well known, you are Queen of the Road Angels. It is fun to re-read the day you earned your title, February 16, 2014!:

https://www.cycleblaze.com/journals/grampiesouth/day-43-eunice-to-oberlin-ardell-queen-of-the-road-angels/
Reply to this comment
5 years ago