Enough About Tortes Already!? - Grampies Track the Tortes Spring 2019 - CycleBlaze

December 18, 2020

Enough About Tortes Already!?

Christmas 2020 Torte Epilog

This blog from early 2019 asked the readers to follow our relationship with Tortes over about fifty years (1970-2019).  With a final entry called "The Last Word on Tortes" perhaps there could be a sigh of relief that the obsession with tortes had rolled to an end.  But no, that chapter actually had "Or not" glued onto its title. So it's to be expected that though we have been back from eastern Europe for almost two years, the torte topic has still been percolating under the surface. 

As the chapter threatened, we do plan to be back on the torte trail. We will need some COVID vaccinations and other stuff to fall into place first, but that still did not stop this little epilog from popping up just now.

The impetus was a Youtube  travel and food blog that I came across.  This was done by Marta and Matthias, who run food tours in Frankfurt.  The ir particular blog of interest was called "10 German Multilayered Cakes".  The term "multilayered" is kind of a clumsy translation, but Marta is very clear right off the bat.  "Multilayered" cakes are Torten. Any other cakes are Kuchen.  So that supports the most common definition, the one Dodie says is obvious, and gives no credence to anything I might have been mumbling about flourlessness.  Fine, that was sort of interesting, but it is really Marta's list of torten that spurred this entry.

Some of the torten mentioned by Marta are "old standards", like Prinzregententorte. We even offered 56 Youtube seconds on how to pronounce that in the original blog.  But look at Marta's full list:

1. Buttercremetorte 

 2. Frankfurter Kranz 

3. Schwarzwälder Kirsch Torte 

4. Obst Torte 

5. Prinzregententorte

 6. Friesentorte

7. Herrentorte

8. Donauwelle

9. Marzipan Torte 

10. Fürst-Pückler-Torte 

(Goodluck saying Fürst-Pückler)

Not only did Grampies not run into most of these as they purported to Track the Tortes, but actually Marta, who tried to bake them all, had to enlist friends from around Germany to pick up samples of certain ones. It's all because these are often regional specialties.

So clearly we have a lot more cycling to do to carry on this quest. Until a tour like that gets launched, you might enjoy the virtual version by watching  Marta on Torten

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Suzanne GibsonWow! Time to get your wheels rolling and some new torten under your belts! Hope you don't have to wait too long.
Reply to this comment
3 years ago
Steve Miller/Grampies"Under your belt" is a very apt way to put it!
Reply to this comment
3 years ago