Day 37: Seattle to Victoria - Grampies Track the Tortes Spring 2019 - CycleBlaze

April 24, 2019

Day 37: Seattle to Victoria

The flight into Seattle was chosen mainly because of the low cost of the Condor ticket from Frankfurt. It also gave a chance for a brief family visit. But the drawback was in the question of how to then get from Seattle to Victoria. Air flights are ridiculously expensive, and would have wiped out the benefit of flying into Seattle in the first place. The same is true of the fast downtown to downtown ferry. So that left the ferry that crosses the San Juan Islands, travelling from Anacortes, Washington to Sidney, on Vancouver Island. 

Laurie drove us up to Anacortes, a 300 km return trip for her that we certainly would not want to make a habit of. The trip through the islands is very scenic, to be sure.  And the Islands include Lopez, which unlike the others, lacks hills, and could be excellent for a bike adventure with grandkids.

San Juans - last stop before Canada.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Aa

The Washington State ferry the Elwa, will return us to Canada.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Cruising among the Islands
Heart 2 Comment 0
Innovative way to amuse travellers
Heart 1 Comment 0
Friday Harbor
Heart 2 Comment 0
The San Juan Islands
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crane Island - muted colours
Heart 3 Comment 0

At the landing in Sidney, the Canadian customs and immigration officer asked us where we had been and for how long. Then it was just "Welcome Home".  The welcome was continued as our good friend Marvin Paxman was waiting at the exit, to whisk us back to the farm, effectively bring the odyssey to a close.

Stay tuned, though, for our usual round of statistics and afterthoughts, coming soon.

A special thank you goes out to all those who wished us well during the trip and after its abrupt end. It really helps to have that support.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Sue PriceGlad you made it safe and sound!
Reply to this comment
4 years ago
Kathleen ClassenWe are glad you are safely home and send our continued best wishes. We have just set our alarms for an ‘alarming’ 3:20 AM wake up. We will probably be awake anyway. Just for the record, having cycled Lopez, it is most decidedly not flat. We know it has that reputation! We did it the day after San Juan, and it may be simply that it is flatter, relatively speaking, but it didn’t seem so to us, or our GPS. It was a great ride though.
Reply to this comment
4 years ago