To Sooke Potholes - I Miss My Electric Toothbrush - CycleBlaze

August 24, 2020

To Sooke Potholes

almost the terminus of the Galloping Goose

This seemed pretty easy:  get on the E&N Rail Trail, left turn at the intersection with the Galloping Goose, and ride almost to the end.  It almost worked out that way, too.

Al had found some methyl hydrate at Canadian Tire (in the paint section, not sporting goods) but we didn't have any food with us except the second freeze-dried backpacker meal we'd brought from home.  We stopped in Langford, only about a quarter of the way along our route but the last opportunity on the Galloping Goose and got sandwiches and apricots for lunch.  We made a café stop too since it was the last chance for that as well.  One or both of us would go into Sooke for groceries after we'd set up camp. 

Al's bike loaded for the trip. This is the only photo either of us took today--taken while he waited for me to get lunch supplies. We are terrible at documenting our local trips. Nothing is new to us anymore and so not worthy of digging out the camera. My phone doesn't have a good camera (imo) for much more than a snapshot of my dinner plate.
Heart 0 Comment 0

If you look carefully at the track, you will see a 3-km each way out-and-back starting at km 41.6.  This is because yours truly managed to ride right by the signs on both sides of the path stating that the Todd Creek Trestle is closed for repairs and trail users needed to detour on the Sooke River Road.  I was ahead of Al at this point since he'd stopped to water a tree or something so he continued since I wasn't waiting there for him.  The signs (I saw them on our return from the trestle) are quite high and there was a group of people milling around when I rode by so I must have been watching them instead of the signs.  Oh well.  At least no big hills were involved.

We skipped the first opportunity to get back on the Goose and continued on the road even after it changed to gravel.  "It's only 3 km, how bad can it be?" said Al but it was awful.  We took the second opportunity.

The road goes through the Sooke Potholes Provincial Park and continues into the Sooke Potholes Regional Park.  The  Spring Salmon Place Campground, built (?) and formerly run by The Land Conservancy and currently owned by the Capital Regional District and operated by the T'Sou-ke Nation, is at the end of the road. If, instead, you are on the Galloping Goose, there's a well-marked turnoff which leads to the opposite end of the campground.

We had just entered the campground when Rob called to us.  He had left a couple of hours after us, but had taken the highway and hadn't stopped for groceries or coffee.  We chose a site and then Rob left to ride home.  Good thing since we didn't have and extra sandwich for him!

Part 1: Victoria to Sooke Potholes
Heart 0 Comment 0

After setting up, we rode into Sooke for groceries.  It's a reasonably pleasant ride except for the last two kilometres on the highway into town.  That part is horrible and we stopped at the first grocery store we saw.  Conveniently, there's a BC Liquor outlet in the same shopping centre. 

The grocery store had a decent selection, though.  I bought fresh pasta (uses way less fuel than dried) and a bagged salad kit.  Together with fresh bread and a bottle of wine, plus cookies for dessert, we had a nice dinner.  Al will say I should have also got some chips to go with the afternoon beer...

In truth, what I had bought completely filled the carrying capacity available.  Note to self:  next time, use my big panniers or bring the fork bags.

Part 2: the groceries run into Sooke
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 284 km (176 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0